Jackson County History--Biographies Part 4 (pages 602-621)
DANIEL C. BOWER
Among the contributions made by North Carolina to the early settlement of Indiana was Adam Bower, a German by birth, who made the journey as early as 1811 and took up his domicile in the county of Clark. He was a minister of the Dunkard church and perhaps the first, certainly on of the earliest, to preach for that sect in the southern part of this state. Among his children was a son name Joseph, who was reared in Clark county, where he achieved success as a farmer as well as merchant being the owner of a store and a man of standing in the business world. That he was prominent as well as popular is proved by the fact that he held the office of county recorder for twenty consecutive years. At his death his son, Daniel W., left the old home for Washington county, but after spending a few years there came, in 1840, to Jackson county, which thereafter was his permanent place of residence. He arrived when the famous campaign of “Tippecanoe and Tyler Too” was at its height and became identified with the hard band of first settlers who were grappling with the pioneer problems characteristic of al Indiana at the primitive period. The new arrival entered eighty acres of land in Owen township, which he has occupied in working for ** years, and then removed to a place of one hundred and twenty acres which he bought in section 17, near Kurtz, to which he subsequently added until his holdings now amount to three hundred acres. Mr. Bower has always affiliated with the Democratic party, and during his long and blameless life has been intrusted [sic] with various official responsibilities, such as justice of the peace, township trustee and census enumerator in 1850 and 1860. He is a fine example of the heroic band who made the state of which there are now but few survivors to recall “the dim remembered story of the old time entombed.” In his young manhood he was married to Clarissa Wright, under circumstances that lend a tinge of romance worth recalling after the lapse of so many years. Clarissa was the daughter of Elijah and granddaughter of William Wright, the latter a native of Roan county, North Carolina, from which section he came to Indiana about 1810, and located in Washington county. About ten years later he came with his family to Jackson county and located on a farm in Driftwood township, where he spent the remainder of his days. It was not until the son of Joseph Bower came courting the daughter of Elijah Wright that the two fathers found out that they had been old acquaintances in North Carolina, before and
had lost track of each other until their children’s love affair caused them to renew former friendship. The girl who took part in the episode lived as the affectionate wife of her pioneer lover until December 6, 1885, when she was called from the scenes of earth. Daniel C. Bower, seventh of the ten children of the above described pioneer couple, was born in Owen township, Jackson county, Indiana, May 11, 1851, and grew up after the manner of all farm boys of that day. In 1871 he was appointed deputy sheriff and served three years, during which time he devoted his winters to teaching, having charge of a school for six terms. In 1886 he took charge of his fathers original home place, which now includes two hundred and forty acres, and since then has devoted himself strictly to agricultural pursuits. He carries on miscellaneous farming, rotation of crops, buying and selling stock and has met with success in his undertakings, being regarded as a good farmer, desirable neighbor and a worthy citizen. He treasures as an heirloom a walking stick that was cut from a log in the cabin first built by his father in 1840 on the place where he now lives. Mr. Bower is a Democrat, a Baptist, member of the Grange and Masonic fraternity and at present holds the position of land appraiser of the school board. April 2, 1874, Mr. Bower married Louisa J. Hanner, of Salt Creek township, who died October 27, 1881, leaving one son, John L., a farmer of Carr township. October 11, 1883, Mr. Bower was united in marriage with Maggie E., daughter of Jacob L. and Martha P. Cooper, former residents of Washington county, but at that time of Clear Spring, Jackson county. Mrs. Bower died June 7, 1893, leaving an only daughter named Martha C., who is at home with her father.
GEORGE W. GIBSON, M. D.
No name is more familiar in Salt Creek township than that above given and this will be readily understood from the statement that Dr. Gibson came here in time to be considered an early settler and has practiced medicine in the township for thirty-six years. It is safe to say, therefore, that he knows every one of the older generations and there are few of the younger who would not recognize him on sight. As one of the successful practitioners of his adopted county and a popular as well as leading and influential citizen, a brief outline of his career will prove interesting not only to his friends but the general public. His parents were Allen and Deborah (Barnes) Gibson, who were domiciled in the state of Ohio at an early period of the last century and descended from Pennsylvania pioneers. George W. Gibson, one of their children, was born in Belmont county, Ohio, July 13, 1838, but came to Indiana fourteen years later and was in school at Indianapolis until 1854. After finishing his education at the state capital, he was engaged for two terms in teaching school in Morgan county. In 1858 he began the study of medicine under the tutelage of
Dr. John Carson and after remaining in the office two years, became a student at a medical college in Louisville. All his plans, however, were interrupted by the outbreak of the Civil war, as he was one of those who could not resist his country’s call to arms. In 1861 he enrolled his name as a member of the Twenty-second Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, in which he served with creditable bravery and fidelity until the last gun at Appomattox proclaimed the end of that ever memorable struggle. His personal history during this trying period was practically that of his regiment, as he was with it on all its hand marches and in all its important battles. The muster-out occurred July 24, 1865, and soon after Dr. Gibson suffered such an impairment of health that he concluded to go back to his old Ohio home for recuperation. Rest and careful nursing combined with the delights of home surroundings and parental love, soon brought a return of strength and in 1866, we find Dr. Gibson back in Brown county, Indiana. A year later he located at Houston and this proved to be a permanency, as he has ever since continued his professional practice at that place, losing but a few days from his work during the last thirty-six years. He has, moreover, been a very busy man during all those years, having all the practice he could handle most of the time, and occasionally more. It has grown into something of a proverb in the township that Dr. Gibson attends strictly to his own business, which does not mean, however, that he cannot find time to perform all the duties imposed by good citizenship. His political affiliations have always been with the Democracy, but he has never asked for or desired office, though he was chosen and held to office of county commissioner for six years. His only secret society connection is with the Masons, of which fraternity he has long been an active member, and with the Knights of Pythias. Dr. Gibson has never married.
The great empire of Germany has given to America a most valuable element of citizenship and a representative of the sturdy race in Jackson county is the subject of our sketch, who has her maintained his home for more than two score of years and is one of the prosperous and highly honored farms and stock growers of Salt Creek township. Mr. Rupp was born in Germany on the 14th of January, 1836, and is a son of William and Margaret (Wingarder) Rupp, who emigrated from the Fatherland to America in 1846, settling in Ripley county, Indiana, where the father turned his attention to farming, becoming successful in his chose field of endeavor and having the high regard of the people of the community. He died on his homestead in 1884 at a venerable age, his wife passing away in 1898. He owned a well improved farm of one hundred and twenty acres, the same having been in its wild state and heavily timbered at the time when it came into his possession. He was a stanch Democrat in his political proclivities and both he and his wife were devoted members of the Lutheran church.
They became the parents of seven children, namely: Alvina and Frederick, who are deceased, Lizzie; William, who is the subject of this sketch; Catherine, who is deceased; and John, Jacob and Philip. William Rupp received his rudimentary education in the excellent schools of his Fatherland and was a lad of about ten years at the time of the family’s removal to the United States. He was reared to manhood on the old homestead farm in Ripley county, this state, contributing his quota to its development and cultivation and continuing to first assist his father until he had reached the age of twenty-one years, while in the meanwhile he attended the common schools of the county at such intervals as possible, thus having the foundation for that broad fund of practical knowledge which has conserved his success and prosperity in later years. Mr. Rupp continued to reside in Ripley county until 1869, when he came to Jackson county and purchased one hundred acres of wild and fully timbered land in sections 32 and 33, of Salt Creek township, the same constituting its present valuable and attractive homestead. Upon coming here he erected a log house upon his farm and forthwith set himself vigorously to the task of reclaiming the land to cultivation, while with the passing of the years prosperity has crowned his efforts and he now has a well improved and prolific farm, about sixty acres being under a high state of cultivation, while he also has fine apple and peach orchards, the trees having been planted by himself, and also raises grapes and other small fruits. He also gives special attention to the raising of high-grade shorthorn cattle and the Chester White and Poland-China types of swine. In 1872 he erected his present commodious residence, while all other buildings on the place are of excellent order. He has won success by consecutive and earnest applications and good management, and is known as a careful and straightforward business man, enterprising and progressive, upright in all the relations of life and public-spirited in his attitude. In politics he is staunchly arrayed in support of the principles and policies of the Republican party, and both he and his wife are valued members of the Reformed Lutheran church. In the years 1859 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Rupp to Miss Catherine B. Kissell, who was born in Germany, being a daughter of John and Lizzie (Winacht) Kissell, who came to America and settled in Ripley county, Indiana, in 1858, the father being a farmer and shoemaker by vocations, Mr. and Mrs. Kissell had three children, of whom the wife of our subject was the eldest, the others being Lizzie and John. To Mr. and Mrs. Rupp have been born four children, namely: William, who died at the age of sixteen years; Louise J., who died at the age of three years; Lena, who is the wife of William Rupp, of Harrison, Ohio; and Louise K., who is the wife of Grant Douglass, who died march 16, 1904, and who made his home with the subject.
CHARLES D. PETTIGREW, M. D.
Though a resident of Houston for only four years, the young physician above named has done exceedingly well and gives assur-
ance of still farther success as the years go by. He has all the elements of success by possessing a pleasing personality, energy of character and skill in his profession obtained in the best modern schools, both theoretical and practical. He is a son of Dr. D. A. and Matilda (Shafer) Pettigrew, the former a well known physician of Flat Rock, Indiana. He was educated at the Indiana Medical College in Indianapolis, where he took his degree in 1874, located at Flat Rock and has since practiced his profession there with success. He has long been regarded as one of the most popular physicians in his part of Shelby county and stands high both professionally and as a citizen. His son, Charles D. Pettigrew, was born at Louis Creek, Indiana, March 1, 1877, and after finishing a course at the common schools, attended business college at Columbus, where he was graduated in the class of 1895. Shortly thereafter he began the study of medicine at Indianapolis, and obtained his diploma in 1898. This was the year that witnessed the war between the United States and Spain, and deciding that it afforded unusual opportunities in the line of his profession, Dr. Pettigrew determined to enter the medical branch. He therefore enlisted as a private in the hospital service, but within two months was promoted to the position of hospital steward. In this place he develop such aptitude and gave such satisfaction to his superiors, that within twenty days he receive preferment to the rank of assistant surgeon, this being an altogether phenomenal record for one so young. In the last mentioned capacity Dr. Pettigrew served on year in the West Indies and after returning home was connected awhile with the city hospital at Columbus, Indiana. In 1900 he located at Houston, entered actively into the practice of his profession and has since become well established. Dr. Pettigrew’s political affiliations are with the Democratic party, and he is popular both with the leaders and the rank and file as a promising young worker. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge at Houston and one of the active spirits in that popular fraternity. June 12, 1901, Dr. Pettigrew was united in marriage with Miss Mary McLaughlin, a popular young lady of Columbus, Indiana, whose untimely death occurred August X, 1903, greatly to the regret of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
JACOB W. KINDRED
Among the native sons of Jackson county who have here attained distinctive prestige in connection with educational ways is Mr. Kindred, who is at the present time incumbent of the position of principal of the graded schools of the village of Kurtz and who is one of the popular young men of the county. Mr. Kindred was born on the home farm in Owen township, this county, on the 11th of February, 1869, and is a son of Bartholomew H. and Nancy (Woody) Kindred. The father is one of the highly honored citizens of the community and a representative one of the pioneer families of the county, residing at the present time
in Salt Creek township. The mother died in about 1881. Bartholomew Kindred is a son of Daniel Kindred, who came from Kentucky to Jackson county in a very early day, becoming a prominent farmer and leading citizen of this section of the state. The subject was the seventh in order of birth in a family of thirteen children and after completing the curriculum of the local schools he continued his studies in leading educational institutions including one term at Danville and three terms at Marion, this state. About the year 1888 he put his scholastic attainments to practical test and use by engaging in teaching in the district schools, and his success in the pedagogic profession was pronounced from the start, while it has shown a constantly cumulative tendency and has led to his advancement. He was for six years employed as a teacher in the public schools at Clear Spring, this county, and in 1903-4 he was called to the position of principal of the schools at Kurtz, in which capacity he is doing admirable work, having done much to systematize and amplify the curriculum and to secure the best progress on the part of pupils in all departments, while his services have met with much appreciation on the part of the people of the district. Mr. Kindred is a stanch advocate of the principles of the Democratic party and takes an active interest in the questions and issues of the hour, but he has never been an aspirant for official preferment of any order, preferring to devote his entire attention to the profession for which he has so admirably fitted himself. He is a member of the Christian church, in whose faith he was reared, and fraternally he is affiliated with Clear Spring Lodge No. 323, Free and Accepted Masons, at Kurtz, and with the Knights of Pythias. He is a gentleman of unfailing courtesy and gracious personality and the circle of his friends is coincident with that of his acquaintances.
WILLIAM M. MATLOCK
He whose name initiates this sketch is one of the highly successful and representative farmers of Jackson county, being the owner of a fine landed estate in Owen township. He is a loyal and public-spirited citizen, is held in unqualified esteem in the community in which he lives and has the distinction of being a veteran of the war of the Rebellion, in which he served as a member of an Indiana regiment. Mr. Matlock was born in Hancock county, Tennessee, on the 16th of October, 1843, and is a son of Johnson and Dorothy Matlock, both of whom were born in South Carolina, whence they removed to Tennessee, where the former followed his trade of sleighmaking and also engaged in agricultural pursuits, his death there occurring in the year 1849. His widow long survived him, having come to Indiana in the ‘80s, and having here died in April, 1897, while she was a devoted and consistent member of the Baptist church. This worthy couple became the parents of twelve children, of whom six are now living, the subject of this sketch having been the seventh in order of birth. William M. Matlock received his educational training in the common schools of his
native county, and from his youth up has been actively identified with agricultural pursuits. In 1859 he came to Indiana and located in Jackson county, where he was residing at the outbreak of the Civil war. He forthwith tendered his services in defense of the Union, enlisting on the 10th of October, 1861, as a private in Company H, Fiftieth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, John Scott having been captain of his company. He proceeded with his command to the front and re-enlisted at the close of his original term, continuing in active service until the close of the war and participating in many of the most notable engagements incidental to the progress of the great conflict. After the war he returned to Tennessee, where he became the owner of a farm of four hundred acres, in Hancock county, and there he continued to be actively engaged in farming until 1887, when he disposed of his holding and again came to Indiana, locating in Jackson county. He purchased a farm of three hundred acres, in Owen township, and to the same has since added until he now has a valuable landed estate of five hundred and fifty-six acres, the major portion being under a high state of cultivation, while he also gives not a little attention to the raising of live stock of high grade. He is an alert business man and a progressive and discriminating farmer, while it is scarcely necessary to say that he has attained a high degree of success in connection with the great basic industry of agriculture. He has erected a commodious and attractive modern residence on his place, and the other farm buildings are in harmony with the same, the entire farm giving unmistakable evidence of thrift and prosperity. In politics, Mr. Matlock is a stanch advocate of the principles of the Republic party, and both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. On the 5th of July, 1866, Mr. Matlock was united in marriage to Mrs. (Carter) Lewis, widow of Martin Lewis, to whom she bore two children, Rachel, who is now the wife of James Drinum, and Mark I., who is a resident of Oklahoma. Mrs. Matlock was born in Tennessee and is a daughter of Thomas and Mary Carter, the former of whom was born in Virginia, and the latter in Tennessee, both being members of sterling old southern families. Concerning the children of Mr. and Mrs. Matlock, we enter the following record, in conclusion of this brief sketch: Nancy, who became the wife of William Ford, is deceased; Mary is the wife of Ba** Brown, of Kurtz; Nellie Ann, who became the wife of William Riley, is deceased; Josephine is the wife of Howard Armbruster, of Kurtz; James is a resident of the state of Utah; Matilda is the wife of John Scott, of Owen township; Neal, M. D., is a resident of Medora; and Houston is studying medicine in Louisville, Kentucky, all of the children having been afforded good educational advantages.
HIRAM E. McDONALD
The name above mentioned has been familiar in Jackson county for nearly a century, by reason of the early settlement here
of the family’s original founder. Long before Indiana was admitted to the Union, Alexander McDonald, then a young man, appeared among the pioneers of this section, a contribution to the west from the then powerful state of Virginia. As he arrived in the first decade of the nineteenth century, it is hardly necessary to say that he endured in full all the hardships and privations inseparable from the conditions prevailing in that primitive period. Among his children was a son named William, whose birth occurred in Jackson county, in 1808, and who, some twenty odd years later, was married to a young woman named Elizabeth, with whom he settles in a cabin and engaged in the pursuit of agriculture. From this union sprang the late John McDonald, so well known in after years by reason of his connection with the educational and industrial development of Jackson county. His birth occurred October 17, 1833, and his first appearance in a business way was as a farmer in Vernon township and to this occupation he adhered with more or less attention during the whole course of his career. In early life he had learned surveying and, in company with Alexander Carr, made a survey of Jackson county, but he does not seem to have engaged extensively in this line of work. Having received a good common school training, he taught a number of years, and always evince a great interest in the cause of education. Having been elected trustee of the township, he determined to reform a number of abuses in the educational system, due to incompetent teachers and a laxness in administration. With this end in view during his various terms as trustee he would employ none to teach who could not show diplomas and first-class certificates with their licenses. By rigid discipline and determination that the public money should not be paid out except for full value received, he gradually improved the schools over which he had control until they became a credit to the county. In other ways also he proved himself to be a public-spirited man of progressive views, wide awake to the general interest and full abreast, both by reason of observation and reading, with all questions that affected the popular welfare. For several years he served as justice of peace, and in administering the business of this office showed the same mental acumen and broadmindedness that characterized his performance of every trust. In 1882 he came to Seymour and organized the Slack Stave Company, of which he acted as president and manager of eighteen years with an ability and judgment that proved large factors in achieving success that marked the career of this important industry. Associated with him at first were Peter L. Carter and W. N. McDonald, but the firm was changed by the retirement of the latter in 1890 and the purchase of his interest by the other tow partners. Another change was occasioned by the death of Mr. Carter in 1899 and a complete dissolution by the death of Mr. McDonald in 1901. In 1857 Mr. McDonald married Miss Margaret, daughter of Hiram W. Marling, who came to Jackson county from Cayuga county, New York. Mrs. McDonald, who was born January 14, 1832, is still living at Seymour in the enjoyment of good health for one of her age and is highly respected as the worthy wife of a useful citizen. Their family consisted of four sons: Hiram E.; Olive F., who died when twenty-four years old; Job M., a mining attorney of Idaho, and
George C, who resides with his mother. Hiram F. McDonald, the eldest of these children, was born in Jackson county, Indiana, May 2, 1860, and after a common school education entered the State University at Bloomington, but left that institution in the junior years. Shortly there after he engaged in the manufacture of tight-barrel staves, with headquarters at Seymour, but operated in thee or four states. He purchased an engine and heading saw, paying eight hundred dollars down and giving his notes for the balance, and pushed his business until the output amounted to about two hundred thousand dollars per year. By the settlement of John McDonald’s estate the plant was assigned to his son Job, of whom it was purchased by the latter’s brother Hiram, who incorporated the concern in 1902 with his son, Hal E. McDonald, and William Craig as stockholders. The one hundred and fifty shares, valued at one thousand dollars each, were divided among the three members of the company, of which Mr. McDonald is president and Mr. Craig the mill foreman. The machinery for making staves and heading was erected in 1882, but the hoop department was not added until the incorporation of the plant, twenty years later. The total investment is about forty thousand dollars, the concern employs an average of seventy hands, with a monthly payroll of two thousand dollars, and the annual output is something like one hundred twenty thousand dollars. About seventy thousand dollars are paid out ever year for material, distributed over a radius of forty or fifty miles, the business being done on a strictly wholesale basis. The company manufactures every article that is used in the making of barrels and deals extensively in all kinds of timber. For nineteen years Mr. McDonald devoted his personal attention to his original business which was discontinued when he bought his present plant, and meantime he was retained his interest in farming and stock feeding. In 1884 Mr. McDonald was married to Miss May, daughter of Aaron Dole, at present a resident of Vernon, Indiana, but originally from Pennsylvania. But this union there are the following children: Harold, a stockholder and bookkeeper in his father’s company; Mamie, a student at the State University; Milicent Mentoria, Job R, Joseph D and Margaret. The subject is affiliated with the Republican party in politics and takes an interest in campaign affairs but never allows his name to be used in connection with office, either elective or appointive. His fraternal connections are confined to membership in the Masonic fraternity. He is fond of outdoor sports and during the proper season seeks wholesome exercise by hunting and fishing. Chiefly to efforts and progressive spirit Seymour is indebted for one of her productive industries which, but its outlay and employment of labor, gives happiness and comfort to a large number of people.
The visitor to the highly improved farm of this gentleman, in Owen township, finds it difficult to realize its former state and
how many hard strokes necessary to bring it to its present condition. There is little in the commodious residence, fine barns and out buildings, cultivated fields and lowing herds to suggest the pioneer period, but this beautiful place represents a link in that remarkable evolution which, in the lifetime of men still living, has converted Indiana from a wilderness to a smiling garden. The genealogy of the family from whose enterprise and self-sacrifice this lovely homestead has been evolved takes us back to very remote times and to a country beyond the sea. When James Scott was born in Germany, October 23, 1781, the American Revolution was still in progress and when, as a young republic had scarcely passed the period of its swaddling clothes. It was in 1810 that he came to Jackson county to join forces with the small but heroic band of adventurers then struggling to rescue Indiana territory from its slumber of centuries under the primeval forests. The new arrival, however, took hold with the sturdy courage that distinguished his nationality, and became a factor of importance in the development that marked the succeeding decades in that state. The wild government land with which they had started was slowly but surely converted into tillable acres, the long cabin was replace with a better abode and when the original occupants were called to their last account, they had something of value to leave to their descendants. He married Susanna Zike, who was born in Kentucky. William Scott, one of the eldest of their children, who was born January 6, 1815, took up the work laid down by his aged father and carried it on with a resolution worthy the son of an early pioneer. He grew up in Owen township, which was the place of his nativity, entered government land on his own account and became a conspicuous figure in his community during the memorable days of hard cider, log cabins and coonskin caps. He know what it was to drive oxen, to pull at stubborn stumps, to cut grain with the old fashioned scythe and to “shuck corn” by the light of the moon. But there was another side to the picture, some sunshine to mingle with the shadows, and the pioneer boys had sure escape from sorrow around the festive board of evenings or the sugar camps by the side of their chosen lassies. Among the attractive girls in linsey woolsey and sunbonnet, who figured in these rustic entertainments, was Mary Woods, and thus fair damsel found favor in the eyes of William Scott. In after years he was fond of telling how he used to go visiting “at the neighbors” dressed in home-made clothes, and “spark” his sweet heart as she twirled the spinning wheel before the roaring log fire. In due time Mary became Mrs. William Scott and proved a faithful helpmeet to her husband until death ended his earthly career in September, 1865. She was destined long to survive the lover of her youth and the father of her children, as it was not until August 18, 1897, that she closed her eyes on the world and all of its sorrows. The eight children of these old pioneers were Parthenie, wife of B. G. Hamilton, a farmer of Owen township; Benjamin F., of Brownstown; Daniel, deceased; Alexander and Martha (twins), Nancy C., James M. and John William. Alexander Scott, who appears fourth in the above list, was born on his father’s farm in Jackson county, Indiana, February 26, 1843. No incident of importance is recorded in his life until the fall of 1862, when he
enlisted in Company F, Sixty-seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, for services in the arm of the Union. He participated in many important engagements during the arduous campaigns in the west and south, among them being Mumfordsville, Kentucky, where he was captured, but was shortly afterward paroled. He was also in the thick of the fight at Chickasaw Bayou, Arkansas Post, Port Gibson, siege of Vicksburg, Grand Cotcau, Mansfield, siege of Forts Games and Morgan, siege and capture of Blake City. Returning home immediately after the war, Mr. Scott purchased a farm in Owen township and also rented a part of his father’s place, which kept hi busy many ears to get in shape for modern methods of agriculture. It was an arduous undertaking, involving an immense amount of hard work, but he proved equal to this occasion and the original rough, unimproved place has been made literally to “blossom as the rose.” At present Mr. Scott has charge of two hundred and fifty-three acres of excellent land, in a good state of cultivation, well stocked in every way and inferior to no farm of its size in the county. In 1888 he built a comfortable residence for the occupancy of himself and family and only a glimpse at the barn, is necessary to show that a first class farmer has charge of this place. Mr. Scott has not fads, but is progressive and understands the value arising from feeding the products of his farm to stock, instead of selling it off, to the gradual impoverishment of the land. October 10, 1867, Mr. Scott was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Adeline, daughter of J. M and Elizabeth Henderson, who were old and successful settlers in this section. Mr. and Mrs. Scott have had five children: William Ezra, resident of Clear Spring and township trustee; James M. remains at home; Daniel F., deceased; Norma E., wife of Horace Payne, in business at Clear Spring; Carrie Bell, deceased, wife of Thomas Cummins. The children were given good educations and those living are doing well in their various vocations. The parents are members of the Christian church and the whole family, young and old, are among the most popular people of their respective communities.
HARRY M. MILLER
Some men are naturally adapted to a certain line of business, while others go into some particular kind of enterprise. The subject above named has naturally grown into the line which now engages his attention, as the business has come into demand with the growth of this country. Mr. Miller was born in Orange county on February 18, 1861, the very day Jefferson Davis was inaugurated president of the Southern confederacy. He is one of the genial and courteous men who tell others how to protect their property as well as their lives by investing with the leading high class insurance companies. He is the son of Lorenzo D. and Ruth (Hobbs) Miller, and he was born in Orange county, where he was reared on a farm. His mother is a niece of the late Barnabus C. Hobbs, so well known
in the Hoosier state. Mr. Miller’s educational advantages were in the common schools of his native county. He remained on the farm until 1886, when he removed to Paoli and began the insurance business. In 1893 he removed to Seymour and purchased an insurance agency. This business he has conducted for more than ten years. It includes both fire, life and other kinds of insurance. Mr. Miller was married to Nora L. Graham on February 14, 1899. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of the Knights of Pythias. He is also the secretary of the school board of the city of Seymour, in which position he is serving his first year.
CALVIN C. HILL
Calvin C. Hill, one of the successful farmers of Carr township, is descended from pioneer parents whose connection with Indiana began shortly after the famous “Log Cabin and Coonskin” campaign, which ended in the election of General Harrison to the presidency. Jesse B. and Catherine (Herring) Hill, both natives of Knox county, Ohio, made their trip from the Buckeye to the Hoosier state in an ox-wagon over the corduroy roads and country trails which led them to Jackson county. Arriving here about 1842, the father bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in Carr township and started housekeeping in a log cabin, with only the meager furniture and rude comforts that were procurable in that primitive period. His place was almost entirely wild when he first took possession, but by hard work he greatly improved both its appearance and quality, until eventually it became one of the most desirable tracts in the neighborhood. In 1876 he removed to Leesville, where he conducted a grist and sawmill business until the time of his death, which occurred in November, 1881, his wife having preceded him to the grave in march of the same year. Their children, seven in number, were Jacob M., a dentist at Leesville, Cynthia A., Ellen, Margaret, Calvin C., Douglass, a druggist and postmaster at Sparksville, and Lydia. Calvin C. Hill, who ranks as the fifth in the above list, was born on the paternal homestead in Jackson county, Indiana, August 12, 1856. After he grew up he assisted his father in the mill until the latter’s death, after which he returned to Jackson county, and in 1885 he took charge of the old farm in Carr township, having purchased the interests of the other heirs. This place at present consists of one hundred and twenty-seven acres, most of which is under cultivation, and many handsome improvements have been added by Mr. Hill in recent years. In 1895 he erected a commodious residence with all modern appliances for comfort, while a barn and other outhouses afford necessary protection and conveniences for stock. Mr. Hill has no fads or specialties, but contents himself with general farming operations, not neglecting stock raising on a modest scale, and altogether enjoys the reputation of being a painstaking and prudent husbandman. October 15, 1884, Mr. Hill was united
in marriage with Miss Mary E. Thompson, one of Lawrence county’s popular daughters and a descendant of distinguished ancestry. Her great-grandfather, James Thompson, was a native of Ireland and came to this country in colonial days, locating at Philadelphia, and afterward took part in the Revolutionary war. After the conclusion of peace he resided for a while in Virginia, but subsequently settled in Pittsburg, where he died at a ripe old age. He left a son, also name James, who was of the nobility of Ireland, and the family were of the highest standing in their day and age. Robert D. Thompson, son of the last mentioned and father of Mrs. Hill, was born at Wheeling, West Virginia, and educated for the Presbyterian ministry. Instead, however, of taking holy orders he studied law and obtained admission to the Indian bar, which action so offended his father that the latter disinherited his son and cut him off with one dollar. This unfortunate occurrence so discouraged Mr. Thompson that he entirely abandoned his plans of practicing law and instead entered the educational field and taught school for forty-one years. At the present time he is living in retirement at Leesville and enjoys general respect among all his acquaintances. By his marriage with mar A. Lee, he had four children: Mrs. Hill an Jane (who were twins), the latter of whom married E. M. Fitzgibbons, a telegraph operator at Tunnelton, Indiana; Alexander, deceased, and Josephine. He has also an adopted son, Thomas W. Thompson, who is a graduate of Rush Medical College of Chicago, and is now a prosperous and successful physician and surgeon of Oscaloosa, Clay county, Illinois. Like their father, all but the youngest of the children taught school, and Mrs. Hill, who also devoted many years to the business, obtained high reputation both as an educator and disciplinarian. Mr. and Mrs. Hill have four children, whose ages range from six to eighteen years, and all of whom are still pursuing their studies at school. Donley was born August 25, 1885, Grover, February 28, 1891, Edward, whose birth occurred October 13, 1893, died November 18, 1896, and Willard, February 19, 1897. Donley finished at the Medora high school in the spring of 1894. Mr. Hill’s political affiliations are with the Democratic party.
JACOB F. STARR
Jacob F. Starr, of Sparksville, is now enjoying that quiet retirement so soothing in the evening of one’s days and which comes only as the reward of a well spent life. His connection with the business affairs of his adopted county has been long and honorable and the fact that he has left the arduous work to be carried on by younger hands does not detract from the respect universally felt for him as a good citizen, a wise counselor and a fine example of the pioneer period. When h is father, Philip Starr, came from North Carolina to the then new commonwealth of Indiana, there was little to indicate the marvelous development concealed in the womb of time. The state had but recently been admitted into the Union and was
less than four years old when the progenitor of the subject made his first appearance within her borders. There were but few towns, all still small, and these were mostly scattered along the Ohio river. The whole area of the young state seemed to be one continuous forest, with settlements few and far between, the Indian tribes still here and all the original wild animals to be found in abundance. It was before the year 1820, when the recent arrival from the old state located with his growing family in Lawrence county, where the prospects then were inviting only to a hardy and fearless pioneer. Philip Starr, however, had a brave heart and soon we find him in possession of some wild land, which he was working manfully to make fit for cultivation. In due time he brought order out of chaos, had a log cabin home and a few rustic outbuildings, all the result of that arduous labor by which alone a farm could be cut out of the primeval wilderness of early Indiana. In 1840 he disposed of his holdings in Lawrence and removed to Washington county where, with the exception of a few years spent with a daughter in Iowa, he lived until his death. He was a Democrat in politics, a Presbyterian in religion and altogether a fine specimen of that heroic race known I history as the “early pioneers.” He had eight children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the youngest, as he is now the only survivor. Jacob F. Starr was born in Lawrence county, Indiana, October 18, 1826, and owing to lack of school facilities obtained by a scant education in his youthful days. When twenty-one years old he began life on his own account, his first business venture being a job which paid him at the rate of twelve dollars a month. The same thrift and industry that had distinguished him through life were not lacking during the formative period and from his income, whether large or small, he always managed to save something as a nest-egg for the future. As early as 1860 he was able to buy a farm in Carr township, and the home then established has ever since remained his place of residence. He prospered from the beginnings, managed to weather all financial storms, from time to time added to his estate until at present his holdings amount to six hundred acres of as good land as Jackson county can boast. Since retiring from active business he has been renting his land, which is devoted by the tenants to general farming and stock raising, the cereal crops of this section affording the principal revenue. February 17, 1854, Mr. Starr was married to Elizabeth, daughter of John Bennett, and a native of Clark county, Indiana, by whom he has four children: James, John, Norman and Lemuel. Mr. Starr’s political doctrines are in unison with those of the Democracy and he and his wife are communicants of the Methodist Episcopal church.
WILLIAM E. SCOTT
William E. Scott, son of Alexander Scott, was born on the old homestead one mile west from Clear Springs, Owen township, Jackson county, Indiana, on December 3, 1869. He was educated in the common
schools, graduating from Clear Springs high school in 1886. He taught school for nine consecutive years in Owen township, and then engaged in merchandising in Clear Springs in 1897 with D. H. George, with whom he was associated for about a year. He then bought out the drug store which was kept in connection with the general store of himself and Mr. George, which he now runs. In 1899 he engaged in general merchandising with M. E. Richards, and so continues. He was elected trustee of Owen township in 1900. Fraternally he is a member of Clear Springs Lodge No. 323, Free and Accepted Masons, and Brownstown Lodge, Knights of Pythias. On November 5, 1899 Mr. Scott married Ida M. Payne, who was born in Clear Springs, the daughter of John D. and Eliza Payne. They have two sons, Maurice J and Lew W.
It is consistent that in this compilation be entered a memoir of so worthy and honored a citizen as was Mr. Reverman, who was for forty years a resident of the county and who here attained independence through his honest and well directed efforts in connection with the great basic art of agriculture, while he stood forth as one of the representative citizens of Carr township. The great German empire has contributed a valuable element to the complex make up of our national commonwealth, and this sturdy stock was Mr. Reverman a worthy scion. He was born in Messen**, Germany, on the 16th of July, 1833, being the son of William and Adalaid Reverman, both of whom passed their entire lives in Germany. The subject was reared to manhood in the Fatherland, in whose excellent schools he received he educational discipline. In 1837, as a young man of twenty-one years, he determined to seek his fortunes in the new world, and accordingly bade adieu to home and native land and emigrated to America. Landing in New York city on the 2d of May of that year. From the main metropolis he made his way to Loms**, Kentucky, where he remained two years following such occupations as he could secure. He then, about 1860, came to Indiana, locating in Jackson county, where he secured employment on the farm of Henry Zollman with whom he remained until his marriage which occurred in 1867. He then rented land of Mr. Zollman and was engaged in farming the same for the ensuing six years at the expiration of which he purchased a farm two miles north of the village of Medora, in Carr township, where he continued to reside until his death, which occurred on the 6th of December, 1901. He was a man of indefatigable industry and energy, well endowed with mature judgment and so ordered his course during the passing years to gain the goal of definite success, having accumulated a fine property and having become one of the prosperous and influential farmers of the county at the time of his demise being the owner of a finely improved farm of three hundred and three acres, which his widow still retains in her possession, Mr. Reverman
was a man of noble attributes of character, genial and kindly in his intercourse with his fellow men, ever ready to lend a helping hand to those “in any way afflicted in mind, body or estate,” and being liberal in his views and tolerant in his judgment. It can well be presupposed that such a man could not but command the most unequivocal confidence and respect in the community where he was best known, and it can be truthfully said that he “stood four square to every wind that blows: and that the circle of his friends was coincident with that of his acquaintances. He was reared in the faith of the Catholic church, but was signally free from bigotry and intolerance, as is evident from the fact that he customarily attended the United Brethren church, of which his widow is a devoted member, and contributed liberally to its support. In politics he espoused the cause of the Democratic party and while he took a lively interest in the supremacy of the cause he was never an aspirant for public office. He was essentially domestic in his tastes and his home was veritably his castle, the center of his hopes and affections, and the place where his true and loving sour radiated its most genial and beneficent rays. His remains were interred in the cemetery at Medora, and his last resting place is marked by a beautiful monument, erected in loving memory by his widow. On the 24th of November, 1867, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Reverman to Miss Sarah Fowler, who was born in Lawrence county, this state, being a daughter of Samuel and Obedience (Fabian) Fowler, both of whom were born and reared in eastern Tennessee, where their marriage was solemnized and whence they came to Indiana in the early thirties, being numbered among the honored pioneers of Lawrence county, where Mr. Fowler became a successful and influential farmer, living to attain the patriarchal age of ninety-two years. His devoted wife passed away when Mrs. Reverman, the youngest of the seven children, was but two years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Reverman had no children. In September, 1903, she removed from the old home farm to the village of Medora, where she purchased an attractive modern residence and where she is surrounded by a circle of devoted and appreciated friends. She rents the farm.
FRANCIS E. CALLAHAN
Francis E. Callahan, popular principal of the high school at Medora, comes of an ancestry which at different periods were pioneer settlers of Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Indiana. Henry Callahan, the original founder of the family, came from Ireland before the American Revolution and after taking part in the war for independence, located at Martinsville, Virginia, where he was engaged in merchandising until hi death. His son Thomas went from Virginia to Pennsylvania, from there to Ohio and in 1816 to Indiana, but after spending a short time at the Old Post (Vincennes), returned to the Buckeye state. His son Isaac, who was born in Pennsylvania and accompanied his father on his western
wanderings, eventually removed from Ohio to Kentucky, where he was married, and in 1829 came to Lawrence county, Indiana. His father returned to Indiana shortly afterward and closed his career in this state. Isaac Callahan purchased a farm in 1830 and lived until the end of his days in Lawrence county. His son, Martin I. Callahan, was reared in Lawrence county and is still a resident there. Besides farming, he taught school for twenty-four years. Shortly after reaching his majority he was married to Sophia O. Tannehill, a native of Bedford, Indiana. They had six children, the second in age being Francis E. Callahan, subject of this sketch, whose birth occurred at Bedford, Indiana, December 26, 1867. He received excellent educational advantages, all of which were paid for by himself, including a course at the Southern Indiana Normal, and a four year course at the Indiana University, which was completed in 1903. In 1888 he began teaching school and the revenue derived from his work was chiefly expended in qualifying himself as an educator, which he had decided on as his vocation. In 1899 he came to Medora to take charge as principal of the high school, a position which he has since filled with entire satisfaction to the patrons. He has special talent in this line, and the family has shown a general inclination for educational work. Mr. Callahan’s elder brother, James Morton, is professor of history and political science at West Virginia University, and Alva, a younger brother, is also a teacher. Mr. Callahan was married on December 26, 1898, to Miss Lucie Acord, who was born near Gosport, Indiana. Her parents were from Ohio. She is a graduate of the Southern Indiana Normal, at Mitchell, and also attended Indiana University. Mr. Callahan and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and his fraternal connections are with the Mason and Knights of Pythias.
WILLIAM C. BALL
The subject of this sketch is numbered among the alert and progressive business men of the county, is one of the leading contractors and builders of this section of the state, having his headquarters and resides in the village of Ewing, where he also conducts a planing mill, lumber yard and general building-supply business. Through this section of the state are many fine buildings which stand as evidence of his ability and fidelity as a contractor, and he has ordered his course in all the relations of all as to command at all times the unqualified esteem and confidence of those with whom he has come into contact. Mr. Ball was born in Madison, Jefferson county, Indiana, on the 27th of September, 1866, and is a son of James and Elizabeth (Baird) Ball, both of whom were likewise born representatives of sterling pioneer families, while they now reside in Ewing, the father having retired from active business. The Baird family in America traces its lineage back to sturdy Scotch-Irish origin, and it
was founded in the new world in the colonial epoch of our history. The Ball family is of English extraction and the name has likewise been identified with the annals of American history from the colonial days, Spencer Ball, grandfather of our subject, having been born in Rhode Island. He came to Indiana in the pioneer era in the state, being a master mechanic and extensive contractor and having built many of the best bridges in this and adjoining states in the times now long passed. He became master mechanic of the car shops at Madison, this state, and the old roundhouse and workshop which he there erected are still in service. He died there, well advanced in age. The father of the subject likewise became a prominent contractor and builder and was in business for many years at Madison, while he has been a resident of Ewing since 1880, having now practically retired from active business. He is a stanch Democrat in politics. His wife has long been a devoted member of the Methodist church. They became the parents of four sons and one daughter, of whom all the sons are living. William C. Ball, the immediate subject of this review, passed his boyhood days in Madison and Dupont, this state, and received his educational training in the public schools, after which he served an apprenticeship under his father and became a thoroughly skilled carpenter and builder. In August, 1889, he came to Ewing, and here continued to be associated with his father in contracting and building until 1892, since which time he has continued operations independently. While identified with his father in business here and elsewhere in this section of the state, and since he has been alone in his operations he has built many others of equally high grade. Among the many buildings which he has thus erected may be mentioned the following: The People’s State Bank building, which includes the local opera house, this being a fine brick and iron structure; the Sewell block in Ewing; H. A. Burrell’s fine residence; the remodeling of the Methodist church; the residences of T. Benton and Frank Faulk; the commercial hotel; and the Baptist and Christian churches in Ewing, the latter two having been but recently completed, while all of those mentioned are of a high type and of modern design and facilities. The subject’s brother Gilbert is associated with him in the painting department of the business and his brother Edward is engaged with him as outside foreman. Mr. Ball’s business establishment has a frontage of one hundred and five feet on Main street, is one hundred and eighty feet in depth, with an addition fifty by sixty feet in the form of an L. The workshop, immediately in the ear of the office, is forty by sixty feet in lateral dimensions. In the establishment are carried full and select lines of lumber, builders’ hardware, paints, glass, etc., so that he is enabled to furnish all supplies demanded in the erection of buildings, while he also controls a large sale of these lines of suppliers with his own operations as a contractor. West of the headquarters mentioned is located the lumber yard, fifty by one hundred feet, in which the rough lumber is stored and near this yard is situated the fine modern residence of Mr. Ball. He is also the owner of a well equipped planing mill in the village. Mr. Ball is an enterprising young business man and his success indicates how
well he has employed his powers and talent. In politics he is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the Democratic party, fraternally is a member of the Knights of Pythias and his religious faith is that of the Christian church, both he and his wife being members of the church of this denomination in Ewing, while he is a member of its board of trustees. On the 25th of July, 1886, Mr. Ball was united in marriage to Miss Alice Humphrey, who was born and reared in Washington county, this state, being a daughter of John and Mary Humphrey, her father being now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Ball have six children, namely: Stella V., Mary E., Clarence B., Grace A., William L., and Esther E.
MORSE B. SINGER
Morse B. Singer, a farmer of wealth and exceptionally high standing in Jackson county, is of German extraction, but naturalized in America by more than a century of ancestral residence. As far back as 1800, the closing year of the eighteenth century, his grandparents, George and Anne Singer, came with a party of emigrants from Germany in a sailing ship and eventually found a temporary location in New Jersey. From there they removed to Ohio at a period so early as to entitle them to rank as first settlers and in that state the grandfather lived until his death in 1850. His family contained six children, George, Jacob, William, Christopher W., Christena and Susan, all of whom have since passed away. Christopher W., though born in Germany was reared in Ohio and after reaching maturity engaged in business at Troy. He dealt in grain and hog products and eventually became quite prosperous for that, owning three boats on the Miami camp and considerable farming property. Changing conditions, however, and some unfortunate adventures caused him such a reverse of fortunes that he determined to select an entirely new location, and, with this in mind, he came to Indiana in 1855. A year later he purchased a farm of two hundred and fifty-five acres in Driftwood township, Jackson county, which he subsequently improved and made his place of residence until X. In that year he removed to Brownstown but did not survive the change, as his death occurred January 12, 1866. He was an unusually bright man, full of energy, even though he met with some sever financial reverses, on whole he was quite prosperous in business. He was a Whig while the party existed, subsequently a Republican and a man who always entertained patriotic views in every great crisis that threatened the state or nation. He married Mary Brown, member of a Rhode Island family who settled in Ohio during the earlier decades of the nineteenth century, and by this union there were eight children: Unknown, died in infancy; Ellen, deceased; Lowton O.; Mary, wife of Perry Jones of Seymour, Indiana; Elizabeth, first married to T. Lawrence and secondly to James Murdock, is at present a widow living in California; Sally, now deceased, first married to a Mr. Sprigman, and
after his death espoused J. Morrison. All the children were well educated, Elizabeth, Sally and Mary having attended college at Oxford, Ohio. Morse B. Singer, second in age of the above enumerated children, was born in Miami county, Ohio, September 7, 1838, and as he grew up he enjoyed good educational advantages in the common schools and universities of Indiana. When about twenty-two years of age he bought a small farm in Driftwood township, consisting of one hundred and thirty acres, and here he has since constantly resided. In the earlier part of his business career Mr. Singer used oxen for draft purposes and hauled considerable timber with these slow but faithful animals. As the years passed, he added to his place of purchase until at present he owns thirteen hundred acres of land, most of it that unknown being in a good state of cultivation. In 1870 Mr. Singer built a commodious residence and fine barns, and here for thirty-three years he has lived amid the unknown to be derived only from association with affectionate relatives and hosts of friends. He no longer farms on an extensive scale, but rents most of his land to others for agricultural purposes. Nevertheless he rejoices in the possession of blooded and high-grade stock, especially the shorthorn cattle, and in all his operations shows himself to be a progressive, well-informed and up-to-date farmer. December 24, 1861, Mr. Singer married Pauline, daughter of James and Rachel (Evans) Burcham, members of a family noted in local pioneer history. Samuel Burcham, the grandfather of Mrs. Singer, entered a farm now adjoining that of the subject, and on this place, as far back as 1840 or 1842, was built the old Burcham Indiana fort. The Burchams, all of whom followed farming, but none of whom at present remain in the country were people of prominence in their day and left their impress on the early local history. The first Mrs. Singer having died October 24, 1874, the subject was married, in 1877, to Selma P., daughter of Morse Sontag, of Germany, once a farmer of Jackson county but at present a resident of Kansas. Mr. Singer by his two marriages became the father of fifteen children, those by the first marriage being Albert M., Clarence W., James B., Charles O., Ofla (died at the age of eleven years), Edith and Pauline. Those by the second marriage are Emma, Myron, Morse B., Selma, Irva, Goldie and two children that died in infancy unnamed. Mr. Singer has been careful to give a good education to all of his numerous offspring and some of the younger members of the family are still at school. Myra developed a decided taste for music and has gained considerable proficiency in that most popular of sciences. Morse B. assists on the farm and gives promise of becoming a skillful and successful agriculturalist. The entire family are connected more or less closely with the Methodist Episcopal church and enjoy esteem and welcome in the social circle to which they belong. Mr. Singer is a Republican in politics and has served three terms as trustee of his township, being the first of the political faith elected in Jackson county. This itself would indicate the esteem in which he is held by those who know him best, but closer inquiry discloses that his widest popularity rests on the firm basis of integrity of character, kindliness of disposition and a scrupulous fairness in all business dealings.