Jackson/Lawrence County, Indiana Genealogy

The goal of this blog is to document my research into the genealogy of southern Indiana, particularly that of Jackson and Lawrence Counties. As I gather original information, I will include it here with images. I would greatly appreciate any images that others may care to share. I will post them here with a grateful acknowledgement. I also love Sudoku puzzles and publish original ones from time to time. The address for the sudoku blog is http://uniqueandfunsudokupuzzles.blogspot.com/

Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Jackson County History--Biographies Part 2 (pages 562-581)

Page 562
DANIEL P. HINDERLIDER
There is a scientific historical consistency in the compilation of publications of this nature since here are perpetuated for future generations the life records of those who have been factors in the industrial and civic life of the community and who have commanded the confidence and esteem of their fellow men. Such works are cumulative in value as the years fall into the abyss of time, and it is right and proper that the achievements of those who have proved themselves worthy in connection with the varied activities of their day should find such as those offered in this

Page 563
connection. In the case at hand we have to do with one of the influential and honored citizens of the county, one who has here passed his entire life and who is a representative of a sterling pioneer family of his section of the state, with whose development and substantial upbuilding the name hs been long and prominently identified. Mr. Hinderlider was born on the old homestead farm, in Carr township, this county, on the 9th of September, 1839, being the son of Joel and Ellen (Peck) Hinderlider, who were born in Kentucky, while their marriage was solemnized in Jackson county, Indiana, where the respective families were numbered among the pioneer settlers. Joel Hinderlider was a son of Michael and Mary Hinderlider, both of whom were born in Germany, the former a son of Adam and Eve Hinderlider, who came with his family to America and located in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, in colonial times, Michael Hinderlider removed as a young man to Kentucky, where he was engaged in farming for a number of years, thence coming, in 1821, to Jackson county, Indiana, with his family, the trip being made with wagons and ox teams. He took up eighty acres of government land in Carr township, reclaiming the same from the dense forest and becoming one of the leading citizens of the pioneer community. He was for a number of years also engaged in the transportation of business on the White river, having several boats in requisition. He died at the home of the subject’s mother in 1858, being honored by all who knew him. He was the father of two sons and six daughters, all deceased. Joel Hinderlider was a lad of about ten years at the time of the family’s removal from Kentucky to Indiana, and he assisted materially in the reclamation and improvement of the homestead farm, of which he eventually assumed charge during the intervals of his father’s absence in connection with his boating enterprise. Through his efforts principally the burden of debt was lifted from the home far, and he became the virtual head of the family. He started out empty handed and by energy and good management accumulated a competency, having been the owner of two thousand acres of land in this county at the time of his death, which occurred in 1852, at which time he was but thirty-eight years of age. His widow survived him by many years, being held in affectionate regard by all who knew her, and she was summoned into eternal rest in 1893. She was a daughter of Daniel Peck, whose father removed from Pennsylvania to Tennessee and thence to Jackson county, Indiana, becoming one of the earliest settlers here. Daniel Peck here became a successful farmer and here passed the residue of his long and useful life, while many of his descendents are still residents of this section. He was a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as were also the parents of the subject, while the paternal grandparents were devoted adherents of the Lutheran church. Joel Hinderlider became the leading citizen of his section, prominent in business and in civic and public affairs, while his aid and influence were at all times extended in the promotion of enterprises and undertakings tending to enhance the general welfare of the community. He was a stanch advocate of the principles and poli-

Page 564
cies of the Democratic party and was an active worker in its cause. He and his wife became the parents of seven children, concerning whom we offer the following brief record: Daniel P. is the immediate subject of this review; Wellington died at the age of six years, John is engaged in farming, merchandising and milling in Medora; Eveline died in infancy, Maria died at the age of thirty years; Joel and Ellen were twins, the former being now engaged in farming and stock feeding, while the latter is the widow of Peru Rucker. The honored subject of this sketch was reared on the old farm, and after completing the curriculum of the common schools, entered the Indiana State University, at Bloomington, where he continued his studies for one term. After leaving the school he assumed the management of a portion of his father’s extensive landed estate, having been but thirteen years of age at the time of the latter’s death and upon attaining his legal majority he became manager of the entire property, while he was associated with his venerated mother in the guardianship of the younger children. He has added to the share of the farm devised to him until now he has nine hundred acres of valuable and most arable land upon which he as made the best of improvements, including the erection of his commodious residence, the place being one of the largest in the county. He devotes his attention to diversified farming and stock growing, and is also interested in the mercantile, milling and banking business at Medora, his capitalistic interests being of wide scope, while he is recognized as one of the most influential and progressive citizens of this section. Mr. Hinderlider has well upheld the prestige of the honored name which he bears, and has so ordered his course as to retain the unqualified confidence and regard of all who know him, standing for the best type of citizenship and being tolerant and kindly in his judgment of and dealings with his fellow men. His homestead is located in Carr township, two and one-half miles west of the village of Medora, which is his post office address. In politics, he is a stanch Democrat and has taken an active interest in forwarding the party cause while he served for a decade as trustee for his township, though he has never sought official preferment. On the 4th of October, 1864, Mr. Hinderlider was united in marriage to Miss Ann E. Wilson, a daughter of Dr. Cree T. Wilson, of whom more specific mention is made in the sketch of the life of his son, Dr. Marshall V. Wilson, appearing on another page of this work. Mrs. Hinderlider died in 1887, at the age of forty-six years. Of the seven children of this union we enter the following brief record: Olive is the wife of L. C. Hottington, who is engaged in farming in Carr township; Lillian died at the age of seven years; Orpha died in infancy; Angie is the wife of Dr. J. C. Vermilya, who is engaged in the practice of his profession in Bloomington, this state. Michael C., who was graduated in Purdue University, married Miss Carrie Kirk and is now a resident of Denver, Colorado, where he holds a government position; John M., who married Miss Nellie Zollman, has charge of the general store owned by his father, John M., and himself in Medora; Fannie is the wife of Frank M. Vance, a successful young lawyer at Bedford, Lawrence county, and Joel V. remains with the father on the farm. On the 27th of March, 1891, the sub-

Page 565
ject consummated a second marriage, being then united to Miss Gertrude Wilson, who was born in this county, being a daughter of Scott and Emma Wilson, both of whom were likewise born in this state, whence they removed to Oklahoma where they still maintain their home. Mr. Wilson was for many years one of the farmers of Jackson county.

L. B. HILL, M. D.
There is no more interesting study than the growth of character, and character is developed as boys grow into men. This is especially true in the development of the men who successfully fill positions in professional life. The subject of this sketch, L. B. Hill, is a native of Jennings county and the son of William D. and Lucy A. (Torbet) Hill. When he was only thirteen years old his father died, leaving hyim to hustle largely for himself. His education began in the common schools, but did not stop there. He attended the Vernon high school, and was one year in the high school of Madison, Indiana. From Madison he went to Franklin College, where he did his classical work and laid the foundation for his professional education. In college he was the classmate and roommate of Henry Eitel, who is now the vice president of the Union Trust Company of Indianapolis. He was also associated in college fraternity with Prof. C. H. Hall, Hon. F. M. Griffith, congressman from the fourth district of Indiana, Dr. O. C. Donnell, Prof. J. W. Moncrief, of Chicago University, Hon. G. M. Lampertson, of Nebraska, Rev. J. M. Daniel and others of like class. After leaving college he attended the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati, where he was graduated in 1879. At intervals while attending medical school he taught several terms, to replenish his pocketbook, and this made substantial and secure foundation for his professional work. His experience as well as his training was during this time developing and strengthening his character. Dr. Hill began the practice of medicine in Decatur county in 1879 on the completion of his professional course. He continued there and he removed to Gibbon, Nebraska, where he remained for three years, when he returned to Indiana. He took a post-graduate course in the Post-Graduate Medical School and Hospital of Chicago, after which, in 1896, he settled in Seymour. He is one of the polished men of his profession and is able to secure and hold a fine class of patrons who look for such men for counsel n their homes. His parents were representatives of two of the leading families among the early settlers of southern Indiana, and he enjoys the benefits derived from such ancestry. His education obtained in the several institutions which he attended, supplemented by experience while teaching and striving to equip himself for his profession, furnished a foundation broad enough for a successful professional career. In whatever community he has practiced he has made good use of the social qualities that made him popular in college days.

Page 566
Dr. Hill was married in 1880, to Miss Ann Thompson, a niece of the late James S. Harper, the merchant prince of southern Indiana. She is the daughter of Captain Theodore M. Thompson, who was superintendent of a large school in Cincinnati at the beginning of the Civil war. When the war began he resigned his position in Cincinnati and formed a company which he commanded during the Rebellion, and died at Memphis, Tennessee, in 1878, of yellow fever.

CLYDE C. McMILLAN
The subject of this sketch is one of the leading young businessmen of Medora, and the esteem in which he is held in the community, where he has passed practically his entire life, sets at naught the application of the scriptural adage that a “prophet is not without honor save in his own country.” He was born in Medora on the 16th of December, 1872, and is a son of that honored and popular citizen, Dr. James P. McMillan, concerning whom specific mention is made on other pages of this work, so that a further resume of the family history is not demanded at this juncture. The subject received his educational training in the public schools, being graduated in the Medora high school as a member of the class of 1890. At the age of nineteen years he initiated his independent career, going to the state of Kansas, where he was for two years in the employ of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad Company, holding a clerk position in the general offices of the company in the city of Topeka. He then, in 1894, returned to his native county and assumed the management of his father’s farm, being thus engaged in agricultural pursuits for the ensuing two years, at the expiration of which, in 1897, he built a store in Medora and established himself in the general merchandising business, in which he is now associated with his brother Arthur E., the enterprise being conducted under the firm name of J. P. McMillan & Sons. The establishment is well appointed and in the same is carried a large and select stock in each of the several departments, while the firm have built up a most excellent trade ramifying throughout the section normally tributary to the town. They have gained a reputation for reliability and fair dealing, are alert and enterprising and stand prominent among the leading young business men of the county. In October, 1901, the subject was appointed postmaster at Medora, of which office he remains incumbent, this being a fourth-class office. In politics he gives his allegiance to the Republican party and takes a loyal interest in public affairs of a local nature, and fraternally he is identified with Medora Lodge No. 328, Free and Accepted Mason and Brownstown Lodge No. 60, Knights of Pythias. On the 25th of August, 1892, Mr. McMillan was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Smith, who was born in Washington county, this state, being a daughter of George A. and Martha (Pollock) Smith, who are now well known and popular residents of Carr township, Jackson County.

Page 567
Mr. Smith is prominently identified with the great basic industry of agriculture. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan have four children, namely: Winona, Helen, James and Mabel.

JOHN A. TRUEBLOOD
John A. Trueblood, at present a farmer of Carr township, needs no introduction to any of the older citizens of Jackson county, to whom his name has long been familiar as one of the most progressive and philanthropic citizens of this section. He may be classed in that famous coterie known in western history as “the children of the pioneers,” his experiences taking him back to the days when railroads, telegraphs and other modern improvements were wholly unknown in Indiana. When he first appeared on the scene, through much advancement had been made over the primitive period, the log cabin was still to be found in abundance and the puncheon-floored schoolhouse was the prevailing seat of learning. It was in 1816, the year of Indiana’s admission as a state, that James Trueblood came from his North Carolina home to cast his fortunes with the new commonwealth bordering on the lower reaches of the Ohio river. He located in Vigo county and, being still young, full of ambition and energy, he lost no time in seeking work and as the years went by made a steady improvement in his condition. In 1839 he changed his residence to Jackson county, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits and did his share in rescuing that section of the state history. He could in later life tell all about the primitive methods of farming which prevailed at the time of his arrival, including the ox team and the old fashioned implements which preceded the modern inventions. Originally a Whig, he afterward became a Republican, fulfilled all the duties of a good citizen and none were more respected than he when, on March 2, 1890, he closed his eyes on this world. In 1837 he married Nancy Weddle, a native of Tennessee, then resident in Jackson county, who departed this life August 23, 1902, after becoming the mother of thirteen children. John A. Trueblood, the eldest of this large family, was born in Vigo county, Indiana, December 23, 1837, and went through all the experiences incident to farm boys of that period. This included a scant education, picked up in the old-fashioned subscription school, which he attended “between times” as the saying then was, which meant when there was nothing doing on the farm. The school terms were very short, seldom embracing more than the four months of winter weather, and as soon as the frost was out of the ground, Master Trueblood had to join the other boys at bawling at the oxen, grubbing brush and doing the endless chores that were never finished in the busy season on the farm. In his seventeenth year he had an attack of inflammatory rheumatism which threatened to permanently impair his health, but by careful nursing he eventually

Page 568
became strong again, and in March, 1855, made his first venture in business, for himself as clerk in the store of his uncle, J. A. Weddle, at Weddleville. He retained the position for five years and meantime wisely devoted his leisure hours to study in order to make up for the scanty educational opportunities of his youth. He held the position of postmaster n the little village where he lived, occasionally taught some term of school and thus passed his time until the outbreak of the great Civil ware which convulsed the country more than forty years ago. In 1862, Mr. Trueblood enlisted as a private in Captain Hall’s company of the Sixty seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, but owing to physical disability was almost immediately discharged from the service. After teaching school a few terms he went to Medora, in 1864, to accept a clerkship in the dry goods store of E. C. Emory, with whom he remained for four years, and then after an interval in the same line of employment with a Mr. Cobb, he resumed his hold position with Mr. Emory for an additional service of three years. In 1875 he purchased a farm near Weddleville, served a term as township trustee and subsequently became manager of a store for Smith & Company at Leesville, Indiana. In all, Mr. Trueblood has spent twenty years of his life in the mercantile business, chiefly in clerical positions in the employments of others. In 1882 he located for permanent residence on his farm in Carr township, where he has devoted all of his time to agricultural pursuits. Originally he owned two hundred and thirty-seven acres of land, but thus has from time to time been reduced by sale until his real estate holdings at present consist of one hundred fifty-three acres, all of which has good soil in an advanced condition of cultivation. March 27, 1862, Mr. Trueblood was married to Esther J., daughter of William and Margaret (Johnson) Marin, both descendants of pioneer parents. Mrs. Trueblood’s paternal grandfather, James A. Martin, who was of Irish extraction, came from South Carolina to Indiana as far back as 1804, and subsequently located in Clark county. From there his son William removed to Jackson county in 1840, and for many years carried on his trade as a gunsmith and blacksmith in Carr township. Anna J., the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Trueblood was born July 13, 1868, and died March 9, 1892. This grievous loss was partially repaired by the adoption at different times of other children, who were educated and given a start in life with all the care and affection that could be exhibited by the real parents. In fact, so notable have this kind-hearted couple become for their philanthropy that their place of residence is known far and wide as the “Orphans’ Home.”

HENRY MULLEN
One of the well known and successful business men of the village of Medora is Mr. Mullen, who is consistently accorded

Page 569
consideration in this publication. He was born in the city of Lowell, Massachusetts, on the 15th of February, 1852, and is a son of Francis and Mary (O’Neill) Mullen, both of which were born and reared in County Tyrone, Ireland, whence they came to America in their youth, their marriage being solemnized in the Old Bay state, where Francis Mullen took up his residence in 1848, remaining there until 1852, when he came to Indiana and located in Jeffersonville, Clark county, where he secured employment in the shops of the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad, whose line is now a portion of the Panhandle system. He was finally promoted to the position of locomotive engineer, in which capacity he ran the first engine between Columbus and Rushville, this state. On the 15th of April, 1866, he resigned this position and purchased a farm in Brownstown township, Jackson county, and was there engaged in agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred on the 10th of March, 1903, at which time he was eighty-three years of age lacking two months. His wife died August 15, 1892. He was a man of industrious habits, distinctive energy and excellent business acumen, and thus he was successful in temporal affairs, becoming one of the prosperous and highly respected farmers of the county. In politics he was a stanch advocate of the principles of the Democratic party in whose cause he maintained a lively interest, and he was a communicant of the Catholic church, of which his wife was also a member. Of the six children of this worthy couple we enter the following brief record: Henry is the immediate subject of this review, Frank is engaged in business at Sparksville, this county; James is a resident of Ewing, this county, as is also Michael, the next in order of birth; and Mary and Thomas remain on the old homestead farm, of which the former has the management. All the children received good educational advantages, and the only daughter completed her studies in the college in Seymour. The subject of this sketch was a lad of eight years at the time of the family removal to Jackson county, and he was reared to manhood on the homestead farm, in the meanwhile availing himself of the advantages afforded at the public schools of the county. He continued to be identified with the work and management of the farm until he had attained the age of twenty-six years, when he engaged in Business on his own responsibility, in Ewing, whence he later removed to Seymour, where he remained until 1900, when he established a business in Medora, where he has since continued operations successfully, being honorable and straightforward in his dealings and enjoying unmistakable popularity. He is public spirited and takes a loyal interest in local affairs, while his political allegiance is given to the Democratic party. During the session of the Indiana legislature of 1889 Mr. Mullen served as assistant doorkeeper of the senate. Fraternally, he is a member of the Knights of Fidelity. On the 17th of June, 1880, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Mullen to Miss Mary A. Mann, who was born in Salt Creek township, Jackson county, this state, being a daughter of James and Mary (Shaw) Mann, the former of whom was born in Kentucky and the latter in Indiana, in which latter state their marriage occurred, after which Mr. Mann located in

Page 570
Brown county, when he was successfully engaged in agricultural pursuit for a number of years. He was a tanner by trade and in 1879 took up his residence in Seymour, Jackson county, where he conducted a leather store until his death, which occurred in 1881, while his wife passed away in 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Mullen have two children, Nellie K. and Michael, both of whom are attending the public schools of Medora.

FRANCIS M. FOSTER
Francis M. Foster, who has been farming in Carr township, or nearly forty years, is perhaps as well known as any private citizen of Jackson county. His grandfather, John Foster, who was of Irish descent, became a farmer in Virginia before the Revolutionary war, was successful in business and achieved a position of prominence in his section. His son Samuel, born in 1792, and his brother William took part in the war of 1812, and soon thereafter emigrated to Lawrence county, Indiana, where Samuel purchased three hundred and twenty acres of government land. At that time Lawrence county was still in the wilderness, abounding in game and offering barriers that deterred any but the hardy pioneer of that period. The young adventurer from Virginia, however, was courageous, strong and ambitious to make a home for himself and under his sturdy blows, the wild land soon began put on the appearance of civilization. Concluding, however, that he could do better elsewhere, he disposed of his holdings in Lawrence and in 1817 reinvested in a half section in Carr township, Jackson county, which was also wild land, and necessitated an immense amount of hard work to make it tillable. This place, nevertheless, was eventually converted into a comfortable homestead, with well cultivated acres and numerous improvements to make it valuable. He was connected with the Democratic party in his earlier years and served awhile as township trustee, but changed his politics temporarily as the result of the Civil war. He died in December, 1872, leaving to his descendants a good name and a large amount of this world’s goods, accumulated during a long and industrious life. January 7, 1819, he married Mary Craige, born August 14, 1796, by whom he had eight children: John W., Josiah C., James P., Eben C., Craven T., Lewis M., and two that died in infancy. His second wife was Margaret Critchlow, born in Kentucky March 24, 1834, died in July, 1890, and by this union there were six children: Mary Jane, who died in infancy; Nancy A., Sarah I., Samuel C., Francis M., and a deceased infant unnamed. Francis M. Foster, as will be observed from the above list, was the fifth child of the last marriage, and his birth occurred in Lawrence county, Indiana, August 13, 1842. As he grew up he acquired a scanty education, by irregular attendance at the old fashioned subscription schools, which were then the only roads to learning in the country districts of Indiana. Meanwhile, he became familiar with all the hardships inci-

Page 571
dent to farming in those early days and often watched his mother as she spun and wove the cloth in which her husband and children were dressed. After he grew up he assisted in all the farming operations and eventually took full charge of affairs of the old place, including care of his aged parents until their respective deaths. At the present time he owns two hundred and forty acres of land, which is devoted to general agriculture, chiefly the raising of stock and cereal crops. In 1869 he married Martha Conn of Jackson county, who died in 1879 after becoming the mother of four children: Oscar who died at the age of two years; Homer B., a resident of Elwood, Indiana; Margaret, at home, and Fannie M., now Mrs. Henry C. Wright, of Oolitic, Indiana, with two children, Cora J. and Leora A. In 1869 Mr. Foster married Mary Weddle, of Lawrence county, who died in 1893. March 12, 1897, Mr. Foster contracted his third matrimonial alliance, his last wife being Miss Alta Z., daughter of Philander and Catherine Pollick, of Washington county, Indiana. Mrs. Foster’s father, who was an early settler, died in May, 1902, but her mother still resides on the old farm homestead. Until 1896 Mr. Foster had affiliated with the Republican party, but in that year enlisted under the banner of William Jennings Bryan. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and his wife is connected with the Methodist Episcopal church. The Fosters have long been esteemed as one of the old families of Jackson county, identified in the days of pioneer struggle with the formatic movements and later, through its younger members, with the wider undertakings which distinguish this age of progress.

JOEL JACKSON
One of the honored citizens and native sons of Jackson county, where he has maintained his home for nearly seventy years, is he whose name introduces this brief sketch, and he is a scion of one of the representative pioneer families of this now opulent and attractive section of the state. Mr. Jackson was born in the old homestead farm in Salt Creek township on the 30th of April, 1835, and bears the full patronymic of his father, Joel Jackson, Sr., who was a native of North Carolina, where he remained until 1813, when he came to Indiana, making the trip with team and wagon, in company with his parents, having been about twelve years of age at the time. The family was numbered among the very first settlers in Jackson county, and the father of the subject died his part in initiating the work of developing the wild land to cultivation, and his early experiences in the forest wilds included not only the labors involved in clearing off the timber and underbrush but also the hunting of the various wild animals which found habitat here. He was a hard worker, a man of distinctive energy and ambition, and he died in the very prime of life, honored by all who knew him. His wife, whose maiden name was Anna Cordill, survived him by a number of years. They became the parents of six children, namely Elizabeth and Greenwood, both of whom are deceased; Joel, the immediate subject of this review; and Jesse, Margaret J., John and William I. Joel Jackson, Sr., was a Democrat in politics and was a prominent figure in local affairs of a public nature, hav-

Page 572
ing been captain of a company of militia for some time and having been prospered in a temporal way, including a good farm in Salt Creek township. The subject of this sketch grew up under the influences and conditions of the pioneer epoch and lent his aid in the reclaiming and cultivation of the home farm, while his early educational advantages were such as were afforded in the common schools of the locality, the same being maintained principally upon the subscription plan and being necessarily somewhat primitive in character. He early manifested marked mechanical ability and as a youth became a skilled wagonmaker, to which trade he has continued to devote more or less attention throughout life while he has also been constantly identified with the great basic industry of agriculture. Through consecutive application and good management he has attained a position of independence and definite prosperity, while he has so ordered his life in all its relations as to ever command the esteem and confidence of all with whom he has come in contact. It may be further said that in connection with his mechanical pursuits he, in the early days, manufactured many wagons, doing all the work by hand and securing the necessary timber from the tree, cutting and splitting the lumber and not utilizing sawed lumber of any description in the entire operation. He also enjoyed the sports of the field and forest and has killed many deer in the township where he now maintains his home, owning a fine farm of one hundred and twenty acres, in section 5, Salt Creek township, and having made excellent improvements in the way of buildings, etc. In politics he clings to the faith in which he was reared and is a stanch adherent of the Democratic party, in whose cause he ever takes a lively interest. He and his wife are consistent and valued members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Freetown. On the 17th of April, 1856, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Jackson to Miss Sarah Reeda, a daughter of William and Elizabeth Reeda, who came to Jackson county from Pennsylvania in the pioneer days, Mr. Reeda being a farmer and blacksmith by vocation. Mr. and Mrs. Jackson have ten children, namely Laban, Greenwood, Rome, Charlotte, Jefferson, Jason, Minnie B., Olive, Gilbert, and Nora.

WILLIAM H. BOWER
In connection with the publication of a work of this nature there is ever marked pleasure when specific mention can be made of those who stand representative in various lines of industrial activity and who have passed their lives in the section which figures as the place of their nativity. He to whose career we now direct attention is a member of one of the old and unknown families of Jackson county and is one of the leading farmers and stock growers of Owen township, where he resides on the old homestead farm on which he was born and reared. Mr. Bower was born in Owen township on the 7th of November, 1853, and is a son

Page 573
Daniel W. and Clarissa (Wright) Bower, the former of whom was born in Clark county, this state and the latter in Washington county, so that it is evident that both families were founded in the Hoosier state in the early pioneer epoch. Joseph and Rachel Bower, the grandparents of the subject were born in North Carolina, and the former was a son of Adam Bower, a minister in the Dunkard church, and a native of Switzerland. His father was George Bower, who emigrated with his family to America about 1740, locating in North Carolina, where he became a prominent and successful planter. Joseph Bower was a patriot soldier in the war of 1812, having gone forth with an Indiana regiment. He removed with his family to Clark county, this state, in 1806, and was numbered among the earliest settlers in this section, where he took up government land and developed a farm in the primeval forest. He was honored by his fellow citizens and held official positions in Clark county for sixty years. He was a Universalist in his religious faith. He reclaimed a large amount of land, was a man of signal [sic] integrity and honor and gained the esteem and confidence of all who knew him. His children were nine in number, namely: Nancy T., Elizabeth, Henry, Daniel W., Joseph E., Wesley, Jesse, Mary and Adeline, and of the number the only survivor is Daniel W., the honored father of the subject of this sketch. Daniel W. Bower removed from Clark county to Salem, Washington county, when a youth of seventeen years, and in 1839 came to Jackson county and took up a tract of government land near the present village of Clear Spring, reclaiming the same from the dense forest and developing a good farm. In 1850 he removed to the northern part of the county and took up more land fro the government, the same being located in Owen township, while he also purchased an adjoining tract, this becoming owner of about four hundred acres. Here he as developed one of the fine farms of the county, having made the best of permanent improvements and still continuing to reside on the old homestead, of which the subject now has the management and control. Daniel W. Bower was born on the 13th of March, 1818, so that he has now passed the age of our score years, while his life has been on of the signal usefulness and honor and he is held in the highest regard in the community which has been his home for so many years. He is a stanch Democrat in his political proclivities and for many years he served a justice of the peace, while he has also been called upon to serve in other offices of local order, including that of township trustee. His cherished and devoted wife was summoned into the eternal rest on the 7th of December, 1885, at the age of sixty-nine years. Of their children we incorporate the following brief record: Eli W., who married Miss Belle Scott, is a successful farmer of Salt Creek township; Joseph E. is deceased; Philbert M. died in infancy; Thomas J. H., who married Miss Carrie Prather, resides in Alva, Oklahoma; he was sheriff of Jackson county, Indiana, for four years, and is now serving his third term as judge of the courts of Woods county, Oklahoma; Wiley J. died in infancy; John E. R. was killed by a runaway horse, his death occurring at the age of twenty-six years; Rachel A. died at six years of age; William H. is the immediate subject of this sketch; Lewis died

Page 574
in infancy and Adeline died at the age of twenty-six years. It is noteworthy that all of those children who grew to manhood and womanhood were teachers for a number of years at the public schools of the state, but none are now so engaged. William H. Bower received his rudimentary educational discipline in the district schools, after which he entered the high school at Clear Spring, where he was graduated, and later he continued his studies in the normal school at Mitchell, Indiana. After leaving school he was successfully engaged in teaching for a period of thirteen years, gaining marked prestige and popularity in the pedagogic profession. At the expiration of the period noted, in 1884, he effected the purchase of the old homestead farm, to which he has since added until he has a fine landed estate of more than five hundred acres, all being available for cultivation and yielding good returns for the labor expended in the tilling of the excellent soil. He also makes a specialty of raising shorthorn cattle, draft horses and Poland China swine, and is known as one of the progressive and successful farmers and business men of his native county, where he commands unqualified confidence and esteem. He has fine registered live stock and as a breeder has gained a high reputation, stock from his farm being sold for breeding purposes throughout the state. He is also engaged in the buying and selling of timber and lumber upon an extensive scale. In politics Mr. Bower has ever accorded a stanch allegiance to the Democratic party, in whose cause he has been an active worker, while he has served as township trustee and assessor and held other offices of local trust and responsibility, being essentially loyal and public spirited. He is affiliated with the Mason fraternity and the Knights of Pythias, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Christian church. On the 17th of December, 1885, Mr. Bower was united in marriage to Miss America Goss, who was born in Washington county, this state, being a daughter of Samuel Goss, a successful and honored farmer and a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of the county mentioned. Mr. and Mrs. Bower have no children.

CAPTAIN WILLISON C. HALL
Back to that cradle of so much of our national history, the Old Dominion, must we turn in tracing the genealogy of the honored subject of this review, who is one of the representative citizens of Jackson county, where he has made his home since his boyhood days and where he is held in the highest esteem by all who know him. He was a valiant soldier in the Union army during the war of the Rebellion, and in the “piping times of peace” has shown the same loyalty that characterized him when he followed the old flag over the sanguinary battlefields of the South. He is now approaching the age of four score years, well preserved in mind and body, and is living retired in the attractive village of Medora. Captain Hall was born near the village of Franklin Court House, Franklin county,

Page 575
Virginia, on the 6th of June, 1826, and is a son of George Washington and Mary (Clowers) Hall, the former of whom was born in Virginia and the latter in Tennessee, while their marriage was solemnized in the Old Dominion. The paternal grandfather of the subject was Carroll Hall, who was likewise born in Virginia, where he passed his entire life, the family having early been established in that old and patrician state. In 1834 George W Hall removed with his family to Jackson county, Indiana, making the trip overland with teams and wagons, and here his death occurred in 1836. His widow subsequently became the wife of Michael Hinderlider, a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of the county, and her death occurred in 1845, her second husband surviving her by a few years. The parents of the subject were both members of the New Light church, and his father was a stalwart Democrat of the old school. He was a typical pioneer, having been strong and hardy, but he was attacked by a fever which soon sapped his vitality and caused his death. In his family were the following children: Rebecca, Willison C., who is the immediate subject of this sketch; William C.; Elizabeth and Hester, all of whom are now deceased, so that the subject is the only survivor of the immediate family. Captain Hall was a lad of eight years at the time of the family’s removal to Indiana, and here he grew up amid the scenes of the pioneer era in Jackson county, his early educational advantages being very limited, owing to the exigencies of time and place, while he began to depend upon his own resources when but ten years of age, since his father died at that time. He secured work on farms in this locality and nobly aided his widowed mother in maintaining the family until she consummated a second marriage. He was employed for two years by his uncle, and later was for decade in the employ of Joel Hinderlider, one of the honored pioneers of this county and one to whom reference is made on other pages of this work, in connection with the sketches of the lives of his sons. In the meanwhile the Captain attended school as opportunity afforded, and thus laid the foundation for that broad fund of information which he has gained under the direction of that wise headmaster, experience. He was married in 1851, and then rented a farm and continued thereafter to follow agricultural pursuits on rented land until 1857, when he purchased a tract of seventy acres, in Owen township, being there engaged in farming at the time of the outbreak of the ware of the Rebellion. He soon subordinated his personal interests to answer to his country’s call to arms. In August, 1862, at a personal cost of about six hundred dollars, the Captain raised a company of volunteers, having served during the preceding year as a second lieutenant of the Jackson Cavalry of the home guard of the state. He was then appointed a recruiting officer, by Governor Morton, still retaining the rank of second lieutenant, and personally met practically the entire expense of raising the company, as noted previously. He thus organized Company F of the Sixty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He accompanied his company to Madison, this state, where a reorganization was effected, and he was unanimously elected captain of his company on the 20th of August, 1862, thereafter serving in this capacity until October 20,

Page 576
1864, when he resigned his commission at New Orleans, and received his honorable discharge, having been in active service during the greater portion of the intervening time. His entire regiment was captured by Bragg’s forces in Kentucky, in 1862, soon after starting for the front, and an exchange was effected in December of the same year. The command then proceeded to the front, being assigned to the Army of the West, and it participated in the various engagements in which this army was involved. In November, 1863, the Captain was taken prisoner, with the remainder of the brigade, and was held in captivity in Alexandria and Natchitoches, Louisiana, until the 26th of the following month. During his term of service he was for three months partially incapacitated, being afflicted with rheumatism, which compelled him to have recourse to the use of crutches during that period, though he still remained with his command. He made an excellent record as a faithful and valiant soldier and did his part in perpetuating the integrity of the nation. After the close of his military career Captain Hall returned to his home in Jackson county and resumed his farming operations. In 1866 he disposed of his farm and rented another, and for a number of years thereafter gave his attention principally to getting out timber, while for about four years he was engaged in the mercantile business at Medora. In 1883 he retired from active business and has since lived retired in the village mentioned, where he has a pleasant home and where he is surrounded by a circle of warm and loyal friends, and where he is held in the utmost confidence and esteem by all who know him. In politics he has ever accorded an uncompromising allegiance to the Democratic party, in whose ranks he has been an active and efficient worker. On Christmas day of the year 1851 Captain Hall was united in marriage to Miss Nancy A. Harrell, who was born in this county in 1830, and who was summoned into eternal rest on the 17th of July, 1903. She was a daughter of William and Mary (Peck) Harrell, the former of whom came about 1821, and who became one of the prominent and influential farmers of the county. Mrs. Hall was a woman of gentle and noble character and was held in affectionate regard by all who knew her. Of this union were born seven children, namely: Mary Ellen, William W., Douglas, Rebecca, George W., Creed T., and one child that died in 1872, at the age of nine months.

CORNELIUS V. TRAUTMAN
He whose name initiates this sketch is recognized as one of the able and representative young business men of the county, being general manager of the Medora Milling Company, in the village of that name. He was born near the city of Cincinnati, Ohio, on the 23d of October, 1876, and is a son of Joseph A. and Catherine (Secrist) Trautman, the former of whom was born near Cincinnati and the latter in

Page 577
the city itself. George Henry Trautman, the paternal grandfather of the subject, was a native of Germany, where he became familiar with the arduous processes of manufacturing wines, the family having owned fine vineyards on the Rhine. He came to America in 1845 and located near Cincinnati, where he established a large vineyard and engaged in the manufacturing of wines of the highest grade, building up a large business and attaining marked success. Joseph A. Trautman was reared on the home place and as a young man took up mechanical pursuits, serving a thorough apprenticeship and becoming a skilled artisan. He was employed by the Bradford Milling Company when a young man, and is now a mechanical contractor, dealing in and installing steam and electrical machinery, while he and his wife still retain their residence in Cincinnati. He is a Democrat in politics and fraternally is identified with the Masonic order. Of the children of this union we enter the following record: Cornelius V. is the immediate subject of this review; Bessie, who is a teacher of music, remains at the parental home, as does also Margaret, who is a stenographer by vocation; and Ida is still attending school in her home city. The subject received his early educational discipline in the public schools of his native city, and supplemented this by attending the Watters Business College. After leaving school he was for a short time employed in a clerical capacity in the office of I. Trager & Company, of Cincinnati, and then came to Medora to assist his father in the remodeling of the flouring mill here. After the work was completed he accepted a position in the mill, being thus employed for a period of three years, at the expiration of which, in 1896, he was placed in charge of the plant, being elected to his present position as general manager of the Medora Milling Company. The mill is equipped with the most modern and improved machinery and has a capacity for the output of one hundred barrels of flour a day. He is also engaged in the buying and selling of produce, giving special attention to the handling of hay and coal and chestnut telephone poles. He is a stockholder in the Medora Bank and owns a half interest in the telephone business conducted under the title of the Medora Telephone Company, while he is also the owner of an attractive modern residence in the village. He is an alert and progressive young business man, straightforward in all his dealings and has gained a strong hold upon the confidence and esteem of the people of this section, standing high in both business and social circles. In politics he gives support to the principles of the Republican party, and fraternally is identified with Medora Lodge No. 328, Free and Accepted Masons, and with Seymour Chapter No. 85, Royal Arch Masons. He is a member of the United Brethren church, while his wife holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. On the 24th of September, 1899, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Trautman to Miss Nellie Hinderlider Rucker, who was born in Iowa, and reared and educated in Jackson county, Indiana, being a representative of one of the old and honored families of this county. She is a daughter of Peru and Ellen Rucker. Mr. and Mrs. Trautman have two children, Herman Hinder-

Page 578
lider , who was born on the 11th of December, 1901, and Herschel Lamont, who was born on the 14th of January, 1904.

ALEXANDER M. VEAZEY, M. D.
Jackson county has its full quota of able and successful representatives of the medical profession, and among the number is the subject of this sketch, who is engaged in practice at Medora, having high professional rank and als being honored as a loyal and public spirited citizen. Dr. Veazey is a native of the old Keystone state, having been born in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, on the 15th of November, 1845, and being a son of Elisha and Eliza (Reed) Veazey, both of whom were born and reared in that state, being representatives of sterling pioneer families of the commonwealth. The paternal grandfather of the Doctor was Elijah Veazey, who was born in Maryland, being of Scotch-Irish extraction. The lineage can be traced back in an authentic way to Charlemagne, and in the various generations have been found men of worth and prominence, while it should be noted that the great-grandfather of the subject was a patriot soldier in the Continental line during the war of the Revolution. Elijah Veazey passed nearly his entire life in Beaver county, Pennsylvania, where he took up his residence in youth, becoming one of the influential farmers and representative citizens of what section of the Keystone state. His son Elisha, father of the subject, likewise lived the span of his life in that county, where he well upheld the prestige of an honored name. He was a wagonmaker by trade, but devoted the major portion of his life to agricultural pursuits, being successful in temporal affairs and standing high in the esteem of all who knew him and were appreciative of his sterling character. He was a Democrat in politics in earlier life, but eventually became a stanch adherent of the Republican party, while both he and his wife were devoted members of the Presbyterian church. He died about 1867, at the age of fifty-six years, and she passed away in 1901, aged eighty-three years. Concerning their nine children we enter the following brief record: Margaret is the widow of Dr. Naman May and now resides at Los Angeles, California; Henry, who married Miss Lydia Stous, is a successful farmer near Avilla, Noble county, this state; James met his de4ath when serving as a member of Company E, Twenty-second Indiana Volunteer Infantry, during the war of the Rebellion, having been killed in an engagement with the enemy at Perryville, Kentucky; John, who married Miss Mattie Armor, is business manager of Westminster College, at New Wilmington, Pennsylvania. He has five children, one of whom, Armor, is a missionary of the Presbyterian church in Egypt; and another son, William, is taking a course in chemistry at Johns Hopkins Institute. William married Charlotta White and is now a truant officer in the city of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Alexander M., the immediate subject of this review, was the next in order of birth. Jennie is the wife of Anderson

Page 579
Scott, a farmer in Beaver county, Pennsylvania. Reed, who was for a number of years a successful teacher and who was later graduated in a Kentucky medical college, with the highest honors of his class, was for many years engaged in the practice of his profession in Indiana, and died at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in 1901, leaving a widow who was Ida Cochran, of Clark county, Indiana. The subject was reared on the homestead farm and his early educational advantages were those afforded in the common schools of the locality. He was about sixteen years of age at the time of the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion, and his youthful patriotism was quickened to responsive action when the rebel guns thundered against the walls of old Fort Sumter. In November, 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company D, Forty-ninth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, James Leaper having been captain of the company, while the regiment was commanded by Colonel James Ray, later by James Kegwin. The regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and the Doctor continued in active service until the close of the ware, having participated in twenty-seven battles, many of them of notable order, and having been mustered out in November, 1865, at New Orleans. He received his honorable discharge at Indianapolis, having made a most valiant record and contributed his share to the perpetuation of the nation’s integrity. After the close of the war Dr. Veazey was matriculated in the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville, Kentucky, where he completed the prescribed course and was graduated as a member of the class of 1874, coming forth well fortified for the work of his chosen profession and receiving the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He engaged in practice at Otisco, Clark county, Indiana, where he remained a few years, at the expiration of which, in 1888, he came to Medora, where he has since successfully followed his profession, controlling a large and representative general practice and being held in high esteem as a physician and as a citizen. He is a member of the county and local medical societies. In politics he records a stanch adherence to the Republican party, and has been an active factor in the promotion of its cause in a local way. In 1900 he served as county coroner. His religious faith is that of the United Brethren church, of which he is a trustee, while his wife is a member of the same church. On the 5th of July, 1870, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Veazey to Miss Amy E. Bishop, who was born and reared in Preston county, West Virginia, being a daughter of Samuel and Lydia (Albright) Bishop, who passed their entire lives in that state, her father having been a farmer by vocation. Dr. and Mrs. Veazey have no children. They are prominent in the social life of their home town.

JOHN M. HINDERLIDER
The subject of this sketch, who is one of the representative farmers of Carr township, as a scion of one of the old and honored fam-

Page 580
ilies of the county and is well entitled to consideration in this work. As a full outline of the genealogical history is given in the sketch devoted to his eldest brother, Daniel P. on other pages of this volume, it would be superfluous to repeat the same at this juncture, since ready index reference may be had to the epitome in question. John M. Hinderlider was born on the ancestral homestead farm, in Carr township, this county on the 20th of February, 1843, the son of Joel and Ellen (Peck) Hinderlider. The subject as reared to the sturdy discipline of the farm and his educational advantages were such as were afforded in the common schools of the locality and period. He had not attained his legal majority at the time of the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion, but his loyalty and patriotism did not long permit him to remain inactive and he thus went forth to take up arms in defense of the integrity of the republic. On the 20th of August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company F, Sixty-seventh Indiana Volunteer Infantry. The regiment was assigned to the Thirteenth Corps of the Western army, and made a gallant record, its history being practically and essentially that of the military career of our subject. He participated in the battle of Vickburg and other notable engagements, and was promoted second lieutenant of his company and proved himself a valiant and faithful soldier, being mustered out in 1864 near New Orleans, and receiving his honorable discharge that year at Indianapolis. At the close of his military service Mr. Hinderlider returned to his home in this county, and purchased a farm of one hundred and ninety acres in Carr township, where he has ever since been successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits and in the raising of high-grade live stock. He has bought and sold several farms, and is now the owner of a finely improved and valuable estate of eight hundred acres, the same constituting one of the best farms in the county. In 1882 he removed from his farm to the village of Medora, where he erected an attractive and commodious modern residence, and here he is a member of the firm of Hinderlider & Company, general merchants, and devotes his attention to this enterprise and to the general supervision of his farming interests. In 1898 he became a member of the Medora Milling Company, and is still a member. He is a progressive and public-spirited citizen and commands unqualified esteem in the county which has been his home thus far through his life. In politics he accords allegiance to the Democratic party. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. On the 28th of January, 1882, Mr. Hinderlider was united in marriage to Miss Katherine Cavins, who was born and reared in Lawrence county, this state, being a daughter of John C. and Martin Cavins.

F. WILLIAM POHLMANN
Among the many popular pulpiteers who have served the Lord in Jackson county, none are more deserving of special notice than the worthy pastor of St. John’s Evan-

Page 581
gelical Lutheran church at Seymour. He is a contributor to the progressive forces of this Union from the country which, perhaps, has sent the more desirable emigrants than any other in Europe and is a fine sample of the men who in foreign lands have given distinction to the Germanic race. His father Louis Pohlmann, came to the United States in 1855, landing at New Orleans and proceeding from there to St. Louis, where he stayed a brief sojourn and then removed to the county and farmed until his death, July X, 1857. Before coming over he had married Elizabeth Schumacher, who, after his death returned to St. Louis and resided there until about 1872, when she came to Indiana and died at the home of her daughter, February 25, 1895. She had six children, Frederick, deceased; Henry, a resident of St. Louis; Charles, deceased; F. William, subject of this sketch; Louisa, wife of the Rev. William Huge, of Fort Wayne, Indiana; and Louis, in business at Pierce, Nebraska. F. William Pohlmann, fourth in number of the above enumerated children, was born in Germany, November 9, 1848, and hence was about seven years old when his parents crossed the ocean. He attended the parochial schools in St. Louis, and afterward prepared for the ministry as a pupil at Concordia College, where he was graduated in the class of 1870. Shortly afterward he was given a charge at Durand in Pepin county, Wisconsin, where he spent three years in unknown his pastoral labor, covering a territory of five counties and regularly filling fifteen appointments in widely separated localities. Every month he traveled two hundred and seventy miles on horseback in meeting these engagements. In 1873 he took charge of a church, at Louisville, Indiana, and after spending five years at this place transferred the scene of his labors to Louisville, Kentucky, in which city he made a distinct and most creditable record. He organized there both the First and Second Evangelical Lutheran churches and spent eleven years of his life in building and strengthening these congregations. Those familiar with Mr. Pohlmann’s ministerial work in the Kentucky metropolis speak of it in the very highest terms as a sample of self-sacrifice and devotion to duty seldom surpassed. In 1887 another transfer took place, which brought him to Seymour as pastor of St. John’s church, and this has proven the crowning achievement of all his busy career. October 31, 1870, Mr. Pohlmann married Emma, daughter of Rev. O. A. and Eleanor (Kuehn) Wowlf, both natives of Germany. Mr. Wowlf, who is a minister of the Lutheran church, came to the United States in 1839, and met his future wife in this country, to which she had emigrated in 1846. Mr. and Mrs. Pohlmann have had children: Helena, wife of Prof. H. B. Fehne, of Cleveland, Ohio; Martin, professor in a school at Fort Wayne; Paul, in business in California; Clara, wife of Rev. P. Lehmann, of Knox county, Indiana; Mathilda, wife of Rev. H. A. Bentrup, of Halgate, Ohio; Emma, at home; Louise, in college at Fort Wayne; Amanda and Selma, at home; Ida, William and Lydia died in early childhood. All of the children are more or less proficient in music and Martin is a teacher of that most popular of fine arts. Mr. Pohlmann, as might be anticipated from the foregoing, is in no sense a politician, preferring to vote for principle rather than party. Among his most treasured possessions is an old Bible, published at Nuremburg, Germany, in 1641, a book of special interest and value.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Site Counter