Jackson/Lawrence County, Indiana Genealogy

The goal of this blog is to document my research into the genealogy of southern Indiana, particularly that of Jackson and Lawrence Counties. As I gather original information, I will include it here with images. I would greatly appreciate any images that others may care to share. I will post them here with a grateful acknowledgement. I also love Sudoku puzzles and publish original ones from time to time. The address for the sudoku blog is http://uniqueandfunsudokupuzzles.blogspot.com/

Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Jackson County History--Biographies Part 3 (pages 582-602)

Page 582
MARSHALL V. WILSON, M. D.
Among the representative members of the medical profession in Jackson county is the subject of this review, who has been for many years actively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery in Medora and who has the affectionate regard of the many to whom he has so helpfully ministered, while his circle of friends is limited only b that of his acquaintances. The Doctor is a native of Indiana and a scion of one of its pioneer families. He was born in Leesville, Lawrence county, on the 9th of March, 1835, being a son of Creed T. and Anne E. (Marshall) Wilson, the former of whom was born in Mercer county, Kentucky, and the latter of in Cynthiana, Harrison county, Kentucky. Vance Wilson, the paternal grandfather of the Doctor, was a native of Virginia, as was also his wife, whose maiden name was Polly Taylor, while the father of the latter was the first warden of the Kentucky state penitentiary, at Frankfort, the respective families having been numbered among the pioneers of the Blue Grass state. The paternal grandfather was one of the prominent and influential farmers near Herrodsburg, Kentucky, and there conducted an old-time tavern for many years, the place being a popular and well managed resort, and both he and his wife died on the old homestead in the fullness of years and honors. The father of our subject was reared to manhood in his native state, where he received a common school education, after which he took up the study of medicine finally completing a technical course in a well equipped medical college in Shelbyville, Kentucky. After his marriage he located near his old home and was there engaged in the practice of his chosen profession until 1832, when he came to Indiana and located in Gosport, Owen county, where he continued in practice until 1834, when he removed to Leesville, Lawrence county, where he established a successful business in the line of his profession, continuing his residence there until 1852, when he came to Jackson county and located in the village of Pea Ridge, which continued to be his home until the time of his death, in December, 1875. He was one of the honored and distinguished medical practitioners of the county for more than a score of years, being devoted to his profession and being signally self-abnegating in his labors. He was a man of marked ability and ever commanded unequivocal confidence and esteem. In politics he was an adherent of the Whig party until the inception of the Republican party, when he transferred his allegiance to the same, ever afterward being aligned as a supporter of its cause. In 1840 he was nominated for representative of Lawrence county in the state legislature, but was defeated, his opponent being the Hon. George W. Carr. He was a spiritualist in his religious faith, while his first wife, who died in 1839, was a member of the Disciples (or Campbellite) church. Dr. Vance Wilson and wife became the parents of five children, namely: Francis, Sarah A., Marshall V., William W. and Robert. The father of the subject consummated a second marriage, the lady of his choice being Sophia Wheaton, a widow. They became the parents of three children, Walter S., Ann E. and Esop C. Dr. Marshall V. Wilson received his rudimentary education in the common schools of his native village, while during the years

Page 583
1853-4 he attended school in Owen county, Kentucky, making his home with his paternal aunt, Mrs. Lowery Heiter. At the age of twenty-two years he began reading medicine under the direction of Dr. William H. Smith of Leesville, Indiana, devoting himself assiduously to his technical studies for three years and then being matriculated in the Ohio Medical College, in Cincinnati, where he continued his studies for two years. He at once established himself in practice at Leesville, Indiana, where he remained a few months. The following year, 1859, he located at Sparksville, Jackson county, where he remained twelve months. He next practiced in Heltonville, Lawrence county, one year, returning thence to Leesville, Lawrence county, and practicing until 1864, when he came to Medora, Jackson county, where he has ever since been established in practice, covering a period of nearly forty years. He has long controlled a large and representative business and his name is one familiar to all in this section and one which is honored by all. He has labored unceasingly, has endured much and has been signally unselfish and humanitarian in his attitude, while his genial face has brought cheer and comfort to many a poor sufferer during the long years of his practice here, so that the affection in which he is held by old and young well compensates for the trials of strength and patience which he has endured. The Doctor has kept abreast of the advances made in the sciences of medicine and surgery and is one of the leading members of his profession in this part of the state. In politics Dr. Wilson gives an uncompromising allegiance to the Republican party, and his wife is a member of the United Brethren church. On the 12th of December, 1861, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Wilson to Miss Nancy C. Reed, who was born and reared in Lawrence county, this state, she being a daughter of John Reed, a prominent farmer of that county. She died on the 26th of December, 1869, having become the mother of three children, Morton Esop, who died at the age of one year; Annie, who is the wife of Alonzo Wisby, a farmer of Huntington county, this state, and John T., who is a clerk in the United States railroad mail service, with headquarters at Indianapolis. On the 14th of April, 1872, Dr. Wilson consummated a second marriage, being then united to Mrs. Nancy C. (Murphy) Robertson. She was born in Brownstown, this county, being a daughter of Samuel J. and Elizabeth (Warner) Murphy, the former a native of Virginia and the latter of Maryland, while the marriage was solemnized in Jackson county, whither they came in an early day. Samuel J. Murphy was a son of Samuel, who came to Indiana with his father prior to 1820, having been numbered among the early settlers of Brownstown. The father of Mrs. Wilson removed to Iowa in 1850, and became one of the pioneer farmers of Iowa county, that state, where he passed the remainder of his life, his death occurring on the 6th of April, 1897, at the venerable age of eighty-seven years. His wife died on the 29th of January, 1840. They became the parents of five children, of whom Mrs. Wilson was the eldest, and three of the number are still living. On the 15th of November, 1853, Miss Nancy C. Murphy (now Mrs. Wilson) was united in marriage to Thomas Robertson, who was at the time a clerk in a drug store at Brownstown. Later he entered the medical profession and

Page 584
was engaged in the practice of his profession in Medora from 1865 until his death, which occurred on the 15th of December, 1867. Of this union were born seven children, namely: Clifford, who died June 14, 1899, leaving a widow and four children; Sophia, who is the wife of Rev. E. E. Erner, a clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church, now residing in Kansas, and who is the mother of seven children. Dr. and Mrs. Wilson became the parents of two children, Vance, who died in infancy, and Goldy, who is now the wife of William B. Scoopmire, of Seymour, this county; they have two children, Vance and Louis.

JAMES P. McMILLAN, M. D.
There is no vocation to which man may turn his attention which demands a greater self-abnegation, a more thorough and exacting preliminary training or a deeper human sympathy and devotion than that of the physician, and only one who has been thus endowed and disciplined can hope for unqualified success in the great profession which has to do with the issues of life itself. The subject of this review has attained high prestige as a physician and surgeon and is successfully established in practice in Medora, meriting consideration in this publication as one of the representative members of the medical fraternity in this section of the state. Dr. McMillan was born on a farm in Knox county, Ohio, on the 24th of October, 1842, and is the son of Hamilton and Mary (Burse) McMillan, both of whom were likewise born and reared in the old Buckeye state, being representatives of sterling pioneer families, thereof. Hamilton McMillan was born in the year 1811, and was a son of Joseph McMillan, who was of stanch Scottish ancestry and who located in Ohio in the early years of the nineteenth century, and who there passed the remainder of his life, engaged in agricultural pursuits, while he also manifested his loyalty in a significant way by serving as a soldier in the war of 1812. The father of the Doctor was reared to manhood in Ohio, and as a young man there learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed for many years, while for an interval of a few years he was similarly engaged in the state of Illinois. About 1869 he removed from Ohio to Indiana, residing for some time in Freetown, this county, and passing the closing years of his life in the home of his daughter, Amanda, in Davis county, this state, where he died in 1888, while his wife entered into the eternal rest in 1877, both having been consistent members of the United Brethren church, while in politics he was originally a Whig and later a Republican. This honored couple became the parents of twelve children, of whom the Doctor was the seventh in order of birth. Dr. McMillan passed his boyhood days on the home farm and secured his early educational training in the common schools, which he attended during the winter terms,

Page 585
walking a distance of three miles to and from the school house each day. At the age of fourteen years he initiated his independent career, and that he has advanced to his present position of independence and professional priority is due entirely to his own efforts. At the age noted he accompanied a cousin to Illinois, making the trip with team and wagon, and after there remaining a short interval he came to Bartholomew county, Indiana, where he was employed at farm work for some time after which he removed to Lawrence county, where he was residing at the outbreak of the war of the Rebellion. His loyalty and patriotism prompted him to tender his services in defense of the Union, and on the 12th of May, 1861, in response to President Lincoln’s first call for volunteers, he enlisted as a private in Company G, Seventeenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he served three years, receiving his honorable discharge at Columbia, Tennessee, on the 20th of June, 1864. His regiment was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, and participated in a number of the important engagements of the great conflict, among the more notable of which may be mentioned the following: Chickamauga, Lookout Mountain, Missionary Ridge, Chattanooga, and others. After the close of his valiant and faithful career as a soldier of the republic, Dr. McMillan returned to Lawrence county, Indiana, and entered the public schools at Leesville, being there graduated in the high school in 1866. He then began reading medicine in the office and under the direction of Dr. William H. Smith, one of the able physicians of Leesville, and during the winter of 1868-9 attended a course of lectures in Miami Medical College in the city of Cincinnati, Ohio, being duly admitted to practice and securing his degree of Doctor of Medicine after the completion of this special course. In 1869, thoroughly equipped for the work of his chosen profession, Dr. McMillan came to Jackson county and located in the village of Medora, where he has ever since been actively engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery and where he has gained and retained precedence in his chosen vocation, having continued a close student and having thus kept in close touch with the advances made in all departments of his profession. In February, 1877, he engaged also in the drug business in the village, and this enterprise he has since continued, in connection with his regular practice, having a well equipped establishment and securing a representative supporting patronage, while he has the confidence and esteem of the people of the community in which he has so long lived and labored. In political matters the Doctor has ever been found staunchly arrayed in support of the principles and policies of the Republican party, and he has taken an active interest in public affairs of a local nature, though he has never sought office. He was, however, called to serve as a member of the board of trustees of Carr township, of which office he was incumbent for a period five years. Fraternally, he is identified with Medora Lodge No. 32, Fee and Accepted Mason, and formerly was affiliated wit the Grand Army of the Republic. On the 7th of March, 1872, Dr. McMillan was united in marriage to Miss Delilah Holmes, who was born and reared in this county, being a daughter of John W. and Catherine (Peck) Holmes, both of whom are now deceased. Mr. Holmes was one of

Page 586
the influential citizens of the county, where he was for many years engaged in farming, as well as in mercantile pursuits and milling. Of the five children of Dr. and Mrs. McMillan we incorporate the following brief data: Clyde C., who married Miss Sarah Smith, and has a family of four children, is engaged in the general merchandising business in Medora and is also postmaster of the village; Arthur E., who married Miss Pearl Prather, has one child, and is associated in business with his elder brother; Frederick G. is a member of the class of 1904 in the Illinois Medical College in the city of Chicago; James Paul is a member of the class of 1905 in the department of pharmacy of Purdue University, at Lafayette, Indiana; and Flossie is attending the public schools of Medora.

LUDWIG ERNST
The subject of this brief sketch has been dependent upon his own resources from his boyhood, and as one of the leading business men of the thriving village of Medora, he exemplifies what is possible of accomplishment on the part of one who establishes a definite aim in life and is willing to apply his energies and abilities toward the gaining of the same. He now has the leading general store in the town, having started his operations here on a most modest scale, and by energy and good management having gained a position of marked prosperity in temporal affairs, while he has so ordered his course in the various relations of life as to gain and retain the confidence and esteem of those with whom he has come into contact. Mr. Ernst , as the name implies, is of German lineage, and he is of the second generation of his family in America. He was born near the city of Cincinnati, Ohio, on the 9th of February, 1854, being a son of Frederick and Sadonna (Mannshardt) Ernst, both of whom were born and reared in Baden, near the Rhine, in Germany, where their marriage was solemnized. In 1848 they emigrated from the Fatherland to America, first locating near Cincinnati, where he engaged in teaming and other contract work, continuing his residence there until the fall of 1854, when he removed with his family to Indianapolis, Indiana, where he passed the remainder of his life, his death there occurring in the year 1879, while his widow still maintains her home there. He was a Democrat in his political proclivities and his religious faith was that of the Zion church, of which his wife likewise has long been a devoted member. They became the parents of seven children, of whom four are living, the subject of this review having been the third in order of birth. Ludwig Ernst passed his boyhood days in the capital city of Indiana, and there attended the public schools until he had attained the age of fourteen years, when he began the battle of life on his own responsibility. He secured a position with the Woodburn-Sarvin Wheel Company, of Indianapolis, doing all kinds of work about the plant and finally becoming a teamster for the concern. At the age of twenty-one years he began buying timber for the company, still working on a salary, and the fact that he was chosen for this somewhat responsible

Page 587
position implies that he had spared no pains to familiarize himself with the details of the business and that he had also gained the confidence of his employers. He was thus employed two years, and then engaged in buying timber on his own responsibility, disposing of the same to the company in whose employ he had been for so many years. In 1878, at the age of twenty-four years, he located in Medora, this county, where he as ever since maintained his home and where he has attained independence through his well directed efforts. He began business here by opening a small restaurant, and advanced, step by step, toward the goal of prosperity, finally establishing a mercantile business, and now carrying the largest stock of the kind in the town. In 1899 he erected his present modern and commodious store building, forty by seventy-five feet in dimensions, and here he has a large and complete stock of general merchandise, including furniture and hardware, while he controls an extensive and representative trade in this section, having the confidence of all with whom he has dealings. He still continues to buy timber of all kinds and finds this feature of his enterprise duly profitable. In politics Mr. Ernst has ever accorded a stanch allegiance to the Democratic party and he has been an earnest worker in behalf of the party cause. In 1885 he was appointed postmaster at Medora, during the regime of President Cleveland, and continued incumbent of the office for four years, giving a most satisfactory and capable service in the connection. He is a charter member of Medora Lodge No. 329, Knights of Pythias, and is also a member of Medora Lodge No. 328, Free and Accepted Mason. He is a member of Zion Lutheran church, of Indianapolis, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. The are popular in the social circles of their home town, where their friends are in number as their acquaintances. On the 18th of July, 1876, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Ernst to Miss Idelia Holmes, who was born and reared in this county, being a daughter of John W. and Catherine (Peck) Holmes, old and honored residence of this section of the state. Of this union have been born three children, namely: Frederick, who died at the age of one year and nine months; Harry L., who assists in the management of his father’s store, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias; and Otto W., who is likewise in the store, he having attended the Indianapolis Business University prior to taking up his active duties.

JACOB S. LUTES
A visit to the place of the above named in Salt Creek township will give an excellent idea of an Indiana stock farm at its best. Mr. Lutes will be found a very busy man, owing to his manifold duties as a breeder and handler of fine stock of various kinds and the management of his extensive farm, which is one of the most highly improved and best appointed in Jackson county. The proprietor, who is one of the most genial and hospitable of men, came naturally by his fondness for stock and skill in its handling, as his father before him de-

Page 588
voted most of his lifetime to this same line of business with great success. Grandfather John Lutes, who founded the Jackson county branch of this family, was a North Carolinian and, according to the traditions, walked all the way from his native state to his new home in the West. He arrived here in 1823, carrying an old frying pan and an ax, the latter being still preserved by his grandson as a precious heirloom of those days of privation and poverty. He set manfully to work in the woods soon after his arrival, and few of the first settlers did more hard grubbing, cutting, digging and sawing than this representative of the Old North state. After he got a place free enough of brush and stumps to be suitable for the rude agriculture of those days, he began farming and followed this occupation until his death, in June, 1862. He had brought a family from North Carolina and included among his children was Henry Lutes, who birth occurred December 26, 1815, and who was still a lad when the long overland journey was made to the western wilds. As he grew up he learned what hard work meant, but also derived from the hard experiences of pioneer life valuable qualities, which stood him in good stead in after years. He started life poor, but proved to be a good manager and skillful trader, with the result that before the end of his career he had accumulate enough property to be considered wealthy for that day. Besides farming he bought up cattle and at state seasons drove them to the nearest market, principally Louisville, and, in this way obtained most of his wealth. For ten years he managed a sawmill and owned the first in the country that was run by steam power. He was always a Democrat in politics and was elected the first trustee of Salt Creek township, an office which he held two years. He married Catherine, daughter of Solomon and Elizabeth (Tipps) Cross, of North Carolina, by whom he had twelve children: Mary E., Alvin M. (deceased), John W (deceased), Jacob S., William D., Sarah E., Nancy C., Joseph G., James C., George B., David O. and Henry M. Jacob S. Lutes, fourth of the above enumerated children, was born in Salt Creek Township, Jackson county, Indiana, January 18, 1847. At an early age he became interested in farming and stock raising, has achieved great success in both lines and is at presently regarded as in the front ranks of Jackson county stockmen. Though he makes a specialty of fine bred jacks and jennets, he deals largely in other classes of stocks, including Polled Durham cattle, German coach and Clydesdale horses, Poland China hogs, and mules. His stock is all of the best quality, no scrubs of any kind being seen on Mr. Lute’s place. His farming is carried on by the latest methods of up-to-date agriculture and his crops are not excelled in quality, the amount of acreage considered. He owns at present seven hundred and fifty acres of land, which yields to none in quality or prices in this section, some of it being worth one hundred and twenty-five dollars per acre. Though he usually votes the Democratic ticket, Mr. Lutes has never aspired to office, being much better employed with his large and important business affairs. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and a man of excellent standing both in the social and business world. November 23, 1871, Mr. Lutes was married to Miss Tena, daughter of James and

Page 589
Eliza (Hunsucker) Cornett, the former a wealthy farmer and stock dealer, who died September 5, 1901. He was born in Kentucky in 1821, owned six or seven hundred acres of land in Salt Creek township and had nine children, all of whom are dead but Mrs. Lutes and Charity E. Mr. and Mrs. Lutes have had five children: Flora; Bradford, Lottie, ceceased; Winifred, wife of Pearl Sester, and Ford.

WILLIAM W. ISAACS
William Ward Isaacs, county treasurer of Jackson county, and one of the county’s most prominent and influential citizens and farmers, is a native son of the county and is a scion of one of the early pioneer families. Mr. Isaacs has passed his entire life within the confines of Jackson county, and the official position to which he has twice been called establishes the hold which he maintains upon the confidence and regard of the people of this section. He was born on the old homestead farm, in Hamilton township, on the 25th of September, 1852, and is a son of John W. and Mary A. (Wooden) Isaacs, the former of whom was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, and the latter near Marietta, Washington county, Ohio. Jesse Isaacs, the paternal grandfather of the subject, was born in North Carolina, whence he accompanied his parents upon their removal to Kentucky, where he continued to reside until 1820, when he came with the family to Jackson county, Indiana, and took up government land near the site of the present village of Freetown, where he passed the remainder of his life, having been one of the honored and influential pioneers of the county and one of its successful farmers, while he also labored zealously for the uplifting of his fellowmen, having been a clergyman of the Methodist church. As a boy, John W. Isaacs left the parental home and was thereafter reared in the home of George Smallwood, a successful farmer of Owen township, with whom he remained until the had attained his legal majority, having in the meanwhile been accorded in the common schools of the place and period. At the age of twenty-one years he returned to Hamilton township, where he eventually became the owner of a good farm, having obtained independence and definite success through his well-directed efforts and having ordered his entire life upon a high plane of rectitude and honor, so that he held as his own the confidence and good will of those with whom he came in contact in the various relations of life. He always took an active and intelligent interest in public affairs, was a man of marked mentality and good judgment, and wielded no little influence in his section, though he invariably declined to become a candidate for public office. He was a Democrat in politics and both he and his wife were consistent and valued members of the Christian church. He was summoned to his reward in 1891 at the age of eighty-one years, lacking twenty days. This union resulted in the birth of three children; of whom the

Page 590
subject is the eldest and the only one living. William W. Isaacs, whose name initiates this review, was reared to maturity on the old homestead farm, which he now owns, the same comprising one hundred and sixty acres and all being under cultivation, while the place is improved with excellent buildings and provided with modern accessories and facilities, being one of the valuable properties of Hamilton township. He received his preliminary education in the public schools and supplemented this by self-application. That he made good use of the advantages thus afforded him is evident when we revert to the fact that for about eight years, as a young man, he was a successful and popular teacher in the district schools of the county. From his early youth to the present time Mr. Isaacs has shown a lively interest in public matters, especially those of a local nature, and he has been an active and valued worker in the ranks of the Democratic party. He served for nearly six years as trustee of his township, and in 1900 he was made the nominee of his party for the office of county treasurer, to which he was elected by a gratifying majority for a term of two years, and in 1902 he was re-elected for a second term, which will expire December 31, 1905. He has proved a most able and discriminating officer, managing the fiscal affairs of the county to the satisfaction of all concerned and making an excellent record for himself while conserving the best interests of the people of the county. During his term of office he has maintained his residence in Brownstown, the capital of the county. His wife is a member of the Christian church, and fraternally he is identified with Jackson Lodge No. 46, Free and Accepted Masons, at Seymour and with Courtland Lodge No. 260, Knights of Pythias, in the same town. On the 18th of November, 1885, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Isaacs to Miss Mary I. Thompson, who was born and reared in Bartholomew county, this state, being the daughter of Silas and Desire Thompson, the former of whom was born in Kentucky, and the latter in Indiana; both are now dead. Mr. and Mrs. Isaacs have three children, Everett E., William T., and John C., all of whom are attending school in Brownstown.

HENRY ZOLLMAN
It is the distinctive province of this publication to make special reference to those honored citizens who have contributed to the industrial and civic progress of Jackson county, and there is an element of particular consistency when we are permitted to take under review in even a brief way, the careers of those who have passed their entire lives within the borders of the county and who stand as scions of the sturdy and noble pioneer stock through whose interposition the era of development was ushered in. Of this number is the honored and venerable citizen whose name initiates this review. Mr. Zollman was born on the parental farmstead in Owen Township, this county,

Page 591
on the 18th of February, 1821, and has thus attained to the age of more than four score years while his life and labors have been such as to command to him the unqualified esteem of all who know him. He is a son of Adam and Polly (Miller) Zollman, the former of whom was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, of stanch German descent, while the latter was likewise a native of the Old Dominion state, where their marriage was solemnized. The paternal grandfather of the subject was born and reared in Germany, whence he emigrated to America prior to the war of the Revolution. The maternal grandfather, Henry Miller, served under General George Washington during the great struggle for independence, and the father, Adam Zollman, signified his intrinsic loyalty by tendering his services to his native land during the war of 1812. His father passed the closing years of his life in Virginia, and was at one time owner of the long famed resort, the White Sulphur Springs, which were originally known as the Dagger Springs, his widow having married a man named Dagger, and three sons of the second union eventually became numbered among the pioneers of Indiana, where they passed the remainder of their lives. The father of the subject came to the Hoosier state about the year 1817, having first taken up his abode in Washington county, where he remained about two years, at the expiration of which he came through with team and wagon to Jackson county, taking up one hundred and sixty acres of government land, in Owen township, and reclaiming the same from the virgin forest. He here continued to reside until hi death, which occurred in 1853. He and his wife were consistent members of the Baptist church, while in politics he was a stanch advocate of the principles of the Democratic party. This sterling and honored couple became the parents of three children, Mary Ann, who became the wife of Richard Black; Sally, who became the wife of Isaac T. Woolery, and Henry, the subject of this review. The subject was reared amid the scenes of the pioneer epoch and early became inured to the strenuous toil involved in the reclaiming of wild land and placing it under cultivation, while the educational advantages in his youth were such as were afforded in the primitive subscription schools of the locality, the schools in use being a rude log structure, equipped with puncheon floor, slab benches, yawning fireplace and windows of oiled paper. He continued to assist in the work of the homestead farm until he had attained his legal majority, when he initiated his independent career by instituting the clear of forty acres of wild land which had been given him by his father, while he also filed entry on an adjoining tract of similar area. He personally cleared about forty acres from the native timber, and in the early days utilized an ox team in plowing the none to "willing" soil. The application of processing energy and industry in the passing years brought to him a due measure of prosperity, and he became in course of time independent in circumstances, while he has long been known as one of the successful and influential citizens of his native county. Since the early 'fifties Mr. Zollman has given much attention to the buying and selling of land and live stock, having handled fully three thousand acres of land in Jackson county and having accumulated a fortune through his well-

Page 592
directed operations, as is evident when we state that he has given to each of his children an excellent start in life, each having been made the actual or practical recipient of about ten thousand dollars through his generosity. Mr. Zollman lives on his homestead of over one hundred and twenty acres, about two and one half miles west of the village of Medora, where he has a commodious and attractive residence, while all other permanent improvements on the estate are on the best order. He gives attention to diversified agriculture and is also one of the leading stock growers of the county, having long carried on a successful business in this line. Mr. Zollman is a man of plain and unostentatious habits, wields great influence in public affairs of a local nature and has made the best use of the earnest and honest endeavor during the long years which have dropped into the abyss of time since he started out to make his way in the world. Without undue exaggerations we may say that he is the leading citizen of Carr township and that he has the unequivocal regard of all who know him, his name being a synonym of integrity and honor. Though he is an octogenarian, the years rest lightly upon him, and hi is alert and active and gives his personal supervision to his farm and other business interests, standing as a fine specimen of vigorous and forceful age and showing no desire to segregate himself in the least from the activities and responsibilities of life. Correct habits and a strong mentality are his, and he exemplifies that greatest of all desiderata, a "sound mind in a sound body." In politics he accords a stanch allegiance to the Democratic party, and has been called upon to serve in various offices of local trust and responsibility, while he has ever manifested a deep public spirit and has lent his aid and influence in the furtherance of worthy objects for the general good. He has stood for the best citizenship and is a man to know whom is to honor. Fraternally, he is identified with Medora Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons at Medora. In 1842 Mr. Zollman was united in marriage to Miss Nancy Hobson, a daughter of Millburn Hobson, one of the early settlers of this county. She died in 1844, leaving one child, Nancy, who died at the age of one year. In 1849 Mrs. Zollman [sic] consummated a second marriage, being then united to Miss Elizabeth Dodds, who was born and reared in this county, being a daughter of Andrew and Zipporah Dodds. The Dodds family came to Indiana from Kentucky and the father of Mrs. Zollman was one of the prominent pioneers of Jackson county, being a tanner by trade, but eventually becoming one of the successful and influential farmers of the county, where both he and his wife died. Of the ten children of the subject and his devoted and cherished wife, who has been his companion for more than half a century, we enter the following brief record: Cynthia is the wife of William R Holland, of Flinn township, Jackson county; Samuel T., who married Carrie Smith, is a resident of Bedford, this state; George W., who married Jennie Hamilton, is a successful farmer of Carr township; Florence is the wife of John Hamilton, who is engaged in the hardware business in Medora; Alice remains at the parental home; Thomas F., who married Delilah Bennett, is one of the

Page 593
prosperous farmers of Carr township, this county; Henry J., who married Syble Peck, is engaged in the general merchandise business in Bedford; Elizabeth is the wife of George Owens, who is a merchant of Medora; and one child, Sophia died in childhood.

FRANK BRANAMAN
A native son of Jackson county and one of the representative members of its bar, the subject of this review stands as a scion of one of the old and honored pioneer families of this section of the state, in fact of two such families, since his maternal grandfather was also numbered among the early settlers in the county. Mr. Branaman is established in the practice of his profession in Brownstown and has gained distinctive prestige as an able advocate and counselor, and has long retained a representative clientage, while he formerly represented his district in the state senate. Mr. Branaman was born on the old homestead farm, near Clear Spring, in Owen township, this county, on the 26th of March, 1849, and is a son of Christian and Mary S. (Wells) Branaman, the former of whom was born in this county about 1823, being numbered among the pioneer settlers of Owen township, where he became a successful farmer, and here he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives. Jacob Wells, the maternal grandfather, came from Kentucky to this county in a very early day and took up government land in Owen township, the same farm being now in the possession of the heirs of his son-in-law, the father of the subject. Mr. Wells was, likewise one of the influential pioneers of the county and wields no little power in local affairs, the names of the Wells and Branaman families became conspicuously linked with the annals of this favored section of the Hoosier state. Christian Branaman was born in Kentucky in 1819, and was reared to manhood in Jackson county, and in his youth learned the tanner's trade, to which he devoted his attention for a number of years, after which he engaged in farming and raising of cattle and horses, becoming on of the prosperous and influential citizens of Owen township, where he owned about eight hundred acres of land at the time of his death, a part of which property having been the tract secured from the government by his father-in-law, as before noted. He was a man of integrity and marked public spirit and was prominent in local affairs, though he never consented to serve in any official capacity other than that of township trustee. He was a Democrat in politics and his religious faith was that of the Baptist church, of which his wife was likewise a devoted member. He continued to reside on the old homestead until he was summoned to the life eternal, his death occurring in August, 1902, while his wife passed away in January, 1898. They became the parents of eight sons and five daughters, all of whom are living except one son, who died at the age of nine years.

Page 594
Frank Branaman, the immediate subject of this resume, was the fifth in order of birth of the thirteen children. He passed his boyhood days on the home farm, waxing strong in body and mind under the sturdy discipline involved. He attended the district schools, after which he entered the high school at Clear Spring, where he continued his studies for two years. In 1874 he was matriculated in the literary department of the Indiana State University, at Bloomington, passing through the sophomore year and then taking up law graduated in that science, in 1874, receiving the degree of Bachelor of Law. Being duly admitted to the bar, he opened an office in Brownstown on the 29th of July of the same year and began the practice of his profession. As he was already well known in the county, he was not long in establishing a reputation for ability among the people and soon took high rank at the bar. He conducted an individual practice until 1878, which he formed a partnership with his brother William T., and they were thereafter associated in practice under the firm name Branaman & Branaman until 1880, when William was elected prosecuting attorney of the county and removed to Seymour, this bringing about a dissolution of the partnership. After the withdrawal of his brother from the firm the subject again conducted an independent practice until 1890, when he formed a professional alliance with B. H. Burrell, with whom he was associated, under the firm of Burrell & Branaman, until 1898, when a dissolution took place and he thereafter practiced alone until 1902, when he admitted to partnership his eldest son, and since that time the law business of the firm has been conducted under the title once before used--Branaman & Branaman. Mr. Branaman is thoroughly well-informed in the science of jurisprudence and has ever appreciated the dignity and responsibility of the profession, whose ethics he observes most punctiliously, and through devotion to the work he has gained success and a place of distinction at the bar of his native county and state. In politics he is a stalwart Democrat, and has been an active worker in the party ranks for a number of years past. In 1886 he was elected to the state senate, serving four years and proving a most discriminating, popular and able member of that body, in which he was an influential factor both on the floor and in the committee room. He is a member of the Jackson County Bar Association and is affiliated with Washington Lodge No. 13 Free and Accepted Masons, and with the Brownstown Lodge No. 60, Knights of Pythias. On the 26th of October, 1876, Mr. Branaman was united in marriage with Miss Ada Burrell, who was born and reared in Brownstown township, this county. Mr. Burrell was a child of two year at the time when his parents took up their residence in Jackson county, and he became on of the leading farmers of this section, both he and his wife being now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Branaman have two sons, John C., who secured his preliminary education in the public schools of Brownstown, entered the State University in 1895 and there continued his studies until 1898, when he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Fifty-ninth Indiana Volunteer In-

Page 595
fantry, being made first lieutenant of his company. From the capital of the state the regiment proceeded to camp Alger, where they remained for some time, after which they went to Thoroughfare Gap, and finally returned to Camp Meade, where they were stationed a few months, not having been called into active service in connection with the Spanish-American war. They finally returned to Indianapolis, where Mr. Branaman received his honorable discharge in the fall of 1898. He then returned to his home and began reading law under the direction of his father, and was admitted to the bar of the state in 1900, after which he was admitted into partnership with his father. Thomas A., the young son, completed the course of the local schools and is now a member of the class of 1905 in the State University, where he is pursuing a full course.

GEORGE SLAGLE
To the person studying the development and growth of Jackson county few characters are more interesting than the above named subjects. He is of German parentage, and first came from Ohio to the Hoosier commonwealth. George Slagle was the son of John and Elizabeth (Wiseman) Slagle. His father came from Germany to America when a young man, and his mother was a native of Virginia. They reared a family of twelve children, of which George is the eighth. The children were Samuel, James, Henry, Andrew, John, George, Lewis, Rachael, Jane, Mary, Rebecca and Elizabeth. All lived to reach manhood and womanhood. They were born and reared in Ohio, and were of that industrious and frugal character which was so common to the early settlers of the Buckeye state. George Slagle was born January 30, 1834, consequently he is now past seventy years old, although he carries his years well. He came first to Jackson county in 1857 and was soon afterward married to Samantha Atkins, of the same county. In a few months after his marriage he removed to Iowa, and while in that state he was engaged in farming. He inlisted [sic] in 1861 in the Second Regiment Iowa Volunteer Infantry for three months. After serving his full time and returning home, he re-enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry in 1862, for three years and continued in that service until September, 1865, when he was discharged. While he was in the army his family was in Jackson county among friends. When discharged from the government service, he returned to Jackson county, where he has ever since resided, one of the honored and respected citizens. When a young man Mr. Slagle taught school to earn money with which to meet the expense in securing a better education. He also studied civil engineering while in school and obtained some practical knowledge of the subject while in the army in the construction of fortifications and the reconstruction of damaged railways, as he was delegated for such work. On returning to Jackson county and civil life after the war, there were not so many openings for a man

Page 596
as in recent years, but he soon found employment, first in connection with the gravel trains on the recently constructed railways, then as a bridge builder or carpenter, and he was the pioneer in introducing better drainage by which many acres of the low lands of the county have been reclaimed and converted into some of the most fertile portions of the county. He has been the leader in this work, which has resulted in the making of more than one hundred miles of ditch in the county. Mr. Slagle has also had charge of the work of building the fine large bridges, of which there are eight spanning White river in Jackson county, and one across this stream connecting Jackson and Washington counties, with a great number over the smaller streams. Much of the work of building the fine gravel roads, giving Jackson county between four and five hundred miles of the best roads in Indiana, has come under his immediate supervision. He has been the civil engineer for the city of Seymour for twenty-two years continuously, besides serving for short periods at an earlier date. Much of this work for which Mr. Slagle has been so largely responsible in its beginning was accomplished with no little opposition, but in recent years the citizens are reaping the great benefits derived therefrom and more fully appreciate its value. Mr. Slagle has but two children living. They are Mrs. Harriet C. Wheeler, with whom he lives, and Frank Slagle. His wife died in 1874. During the time he has served the city of Seymour all the street paving and sewer construction has been accomplished. He has always been a Republican, and cast his first vote for John C. Fremont in 1856, in Ripley county, Indiana, where he was stopping for a short time. It is exceedingly interesting to hear him tell of the progress made in Jackson county since he became a permanent resident of the state.

CLAIBORN WEDDELL
The name borne by the honored subject of this review is one which has been long and intimately inked with the history of Jackson county. His identification with the annals of this favored section of the Hoosier state dating back to the early epoch in which was initiated the development of the industrial and civic interests of Jackson county. He has here passed his long and useful life, and as its shadows begin to lengthen from the west he finds himself favored in being surrounded with hosts of friends and enabled to enjoy the rich fruits of his former years of earnest toil and endeavor, having passed the age of four score years but being admirably preserved in mind and body. Mr. Weddell was born in Carr township, this county, on the 3d of December, 1821, and is a son of David E. and Elizabeth (Coop) Weddell, both of whom were born and reared in eastern Tennessee, where their marriage was solemnized. John Weddell, the grandfather of the subject, was a native of England, whence he came to America in the colonial epoch, passing the closing years of his life in Tennessee. John Coop, the maternal grandfather, was of Pennsylvania

Page 597
German stock, and the family was founded in the old Keystone state at an early period in its history. In 1821, a few months before the birth of the subject, his parents came from Tennessee to Indiana, making the trip overland with pack horses and taking up their abode in Jackson county, and settled on government land where he remained until he purchased some land of his own. The family home in the early days was a log house of the type common to the period and locality, the building being equipped with puncheon floor, wide fireplace and a chimney rudely constructed of clay and stick, no lumber, in a technical sense, being available in the section, so that all work was done by hand, the puncheons being split out from the solid logs, as were also the “shakes” for the roof. It may be stated also that the sleds and carts utilized on the farm were of home manufacture, while the sturdy ox teams were employed in much of the work of clearing the pioneer farm and placing the land under cultivation. The father of the subject cleared many acres of his land and was prosperous in temporal affairs as the years passed by, while he was known as one of the prominent and worthy pioneers of the county, being a man of much force and of sterling integrity. His death occurred on the 19th of January, 1866, at the home of his son, while his wife was summoned to the “land of the dead” in 1836. Of their nine children, five sons and four daughters, the subject and his sister Louisiana are living. It is scarcely necessary to revert in detail to the experiences of Mr. Weddell in his boyhood days, for the tale of the scenes and conditions of the pioneer era has been often told. Suffice it to say that he soon became inured to the strenuous toil involved in the clearing and cultivation of the home farm, waxing strong in mind and body under the sturdy discipline while his educational opportunities were such as were offered in the old log school house, the school being maintained on the subscription plan. Modern facilities were notable for their absence, and the pioneers were self-dependent to an extent that seems almost impossible of realization to the younger generation of the present time. The mother of our subject spun the wool and flax and personally manufactured the clothing to the family, as well as many other articles demanded in connection with domestic affairs, while upon the honored father devolved an equal responsibility in the devising of machinery and other necessaries required in the work of the farm. The subject recalls that his honored sire manufactured harness according to the following formula: The tugs were made of the bark of the paw paw shrub; the collars of straw; ropes were utilized for reins and were likewise of home manufacture, as were also the bridles, which were of the same material, while tow linen was used for back bands. The grain was cut with what were known as reap hooks at first, and finally the cradle was introduced. It is interesting to note in the connection that Mr. Weddell has in his possession a scythe that is more than sixty-five years old, and a clock which has been owned by the family for more than a half century. Claiborn Weddell was reared on the old homestead and at the age of eighteen years began working on neighboring farms, receiving fifty cents a day in recompense for his services. He was thus employed for two years, and then on the 25th of November,

Page 598
1841, took unto himself a wife and helpmeet, in the person of Miss Elizabeth Wright, who died on the 29th of September, 1850, six children having been born of this union. On the 13th of March, 1851, he wedded Miss Emily Homes, who died in June, 1875, having become the mother of nine children. On the 28th of December, 1876. Mr. Weddell consummated a third marriage, being then united to Miss Angeline Gallion, whose death occurred in October, 1877, one child having been born of this union. In 1879 Mr. Weddell married Mrs. Rebecca K. (Webb) Lockman, who died August 16, 1893, without issue, and on the 14th of September, 1894, he married his present wife, whose maiden name was Sarah J. Foster. Of the sixteen children of the subject eleven are still living and all are well placed in life. Each of the number is married, and Mr. Weddell has had thirty-six grandchildren, all living but six, and twenty-eight great-grandchildren, three being dead. After his first marriage the subject purchased a farm of forty acres, in Carr township, the same being wild land, which he cleared from the forest and finally sold, after which he secured better land, which he likewise reclaimed and which he eventually traded for still another farm, showing marked business acumen in all his transactions and gaining success through honest and well-directed effort. In 1854 he and his brother purchased the steam flouring mill at Weddellsville, this county, a little village name din honor of the family, where they also built and ran a general store, disposing of the property about two years later and then resuming his agricultural operations, in Brownstown township. He still owns more than two hundred acres of valuable land in that township, while he is also the owner of about two hundred acres in Carr and Owen townships, both properties being well improved, and he rents his farms to his sons and to others. In 1899 he retired from active work, removing to Medora, where he purchased a nice residence and where he is enjoying the rewards of former endeavors, being held I the highest confidence and esteem in the county which has been his home throughout his long and useful life. In politics he was originally a Whig, but has been a stanch Republican from the organization of the “grand old party” to the present, while he still takes a lively interest in public affairs of both a local and general nature. He and his wife are devoted members of the Christian church, and he has been liberal in his support of the name and active work. He stands as one of the venerable and sturdy pioneers of the county, and it is gratifying that this slight tribute can be perpetuated as outlining his useful and honorable career as a man and as a public-spirited citizen.

ARTHUR E. McMILLAN
On other pages of this work will be found individual mention of Dr. James P. McMillan, the father of the subject, and also of the latter’s brother, Clyde C., with whom he is associated in business in Medora, where the family is one of prominence in both business and social circles. As the

Page 599
data given in the two sketches mentioned may be regarded as supplemental to that entered in this review, he is held as supererogatory to give further resume in this connection since a reference may be made in the articles in question, suffice it to say that the subject of this sketch is known and honored as one of the enterprising and popular young men of the community and as one of marked business acumen. Mr. McMillan is a native of Jackson county, having been born in Medora on the 26th of April, 1876, and having been here reared and educated, having duly availed himself of the advantages afforded in the excellent public schools of the village. At the age of nineteen he learned the art of telegraphy, but has never had recourse to the same as a vocation. In 1894-5 he was employed in a clerical capacity in the local mercantile establishment of H. Zollman & Company, in which connection he gained valuable experience. In 1896 he became associated with his brother Clyde, under th firm name of J. P. McMillan & Sons, and engaged in the general merchandise business in Medora, where they now have a well equipped establishment and cater to a large and representative patronage. Mr. McMillan has the unqualified confidence and esteem of the people of this section and is distinctively one of the representative young business men of his native county. In politics he is aligned as a stanch supporter of the pr9icnciples and policies of the Republican party, while fraternally he is affiliated with Medora Lodge No. 328, Free and Accepted Masons, and Medora Lodge No. 239, Knights of Pythias. On the 5th of April, 1897, Mr. McMillan led to the hymeneal altar Miss Pearl Prather, who was born and reared in this county, being a daughter of Albert and Catherine (Lockman) Prather, the former being a successful and honored farmer of Carr township. Mr. and Mrs. McMillan have one child, Trina, who was born on the 2d of April, 1900.

GEORGE W. ZOLLMAN
Mr. Zollman is one of the representative farmers and stock dealers of the county and a member of one of the old and honored families of the state, being a son of Henry Zollman, of whose life history a detailed review is entered on other pages of this work, so that is not necessary to revert further to the genealogical record at this juncture. George W. Zollman was born in Owen township, Jackson county, this state, on the 1st of October, 1857, and was about twenty years of age at the time of his parents' removal to Carr township. He was reared to manhood on the home farm, in Owen township; while he duly availed himself of the advantages afforded by the public schools, which he attended until he had attained the age of eighteen years. At the age of twenty-two he assumed charge of one hundred acres of the bottom land, in Carr township, the property being owned by his father, and eventually became owner of the place, to which he has since added until he now has a finely improved landed estate

Page 600
of one hundred and ninety acres. He has been very successful in his operations, using scientific methods in his farm work, and having the best of mechanical equipments, while he has made many improvements on the farm, including the remodeling of his residence, which is one of the attractive and modern homes of the county. In addition to carrying on diversified agriculture, Mr. Zollman devotes especial [sic] attention to dealing in cattle and mules, making large shipments each year while he is also a breeder of both of these lines of stock. He is recognized as one of the most progressive and public spirited citizens of his section and takes an advanced position in furthering all enterprises for the general good of the community. In politics he is a stanch supporter of the principles and policies of the Democratic party, in whose cause he has been an active worker in a local way. He served for six years as trustee of Carr township, and within this interval was erected the large and finely equipped school building in the village of Medora. He was one of the strongest advocates of making the necessary expenditure for this purpose, though the project met with strenuous opposition from certain quarters. Today those who worked against the measure accord him credit for good judgment and warmly commend him for the policy which he followed in the connection. Fraternally, he is identified with Medora Lodge No. 220, Knights of Pythias, at Medora, and his religious faith is that of the United Brethren church, of which Mrs. Zollman also is a zealous and devoted member. On the 1st of October, 1871, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Zollman to Miss Jennie E. Hamilton, who was born and reared in this county, being the daughter of James K and Margaret M Hamilton, both of whom were born in Ireland, whence they came to America in early youth. Mr. Hamilton became one of the leading and influential citizens of the county, where he was for a number of years a successful and popular teacher in the public schools, while later he served in turn as county recorder and county superintendent of schools. He and his wife are now dead. Mr. and Mrs. Zollman have four children, namely: Nellie who is the wife of John M Hidenlider, Jr., a successful farmer of this county; Henry, who married Miss Nellie Beam, and who assists in the management of the home farm, and Florence and Sadie, who remain at the parental home, all of the children being afforded excellent educational advantages.

WILLIAM ARMBRUSTER
With the upbuilding of the village of Kurtz the subject of this review has been most prominently identified, and it is in large measure due to his enterprise and public spirit that the industrial and business interests of the place have been so signally advanced within the past few years, while his efforts have been appreciated in the community and he is held in the highest esteem as a citizen and as a reliable and far-sighted business man being thus especially well entitled to representation in this publication.

Page 601
Mr. Armbruster is a native of the kingdom of Wutemberg, Germany, where he was born on the 5th of May, 1838, being a son of John G. and Catherine Armbruster, both of whom passed their entire lives in the Fatherland, when the former followed the vocation of tanner and currier. Our subject was educated in the excellent national schools of his native land, and as a youth there served an apprenticeship at the tanner’s trade, under the direction of his honored father. In 1854, at the age of sixteen years, he set forth to seek his fortunes in America, believing that here were afforded superior opportunities for attaining success through individual effort. He landed in New Orleans, thence made his way to Kentucky, where he found employment at his trade and where he also served an apprenticeship of one and one-half years as a currier, thus thoroughly familiarizing himself with all departments of the business. In 1862 he came to Indiana and located in Monroe county, where he was engaged in the work of his trade until 1864, when he tendered his services in defense of the Union, enlisting as a private in Company B, Fifty-eighth Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he proceeded to the front, continuing in active service until the close of the war and proving his loyalty to the land of his adoption. After the close of his military career he returned to Monroe county, where he engaged in the tanning business upon his own responsibility, being successful in his efforts and continuing his residence there until 1889, when he came to Jackson county, and located in the village of Kurtz, where he erected and equipped a spoke factory, the same being the first industrial enterprise in the place. In February of the following year he effected the purchase of the general merchandising business of John T Deal, and has since continued both these enterprises, which have been important adjuncts of the business life of this section, while his progressive spirit has led him to still further identify himself with local industrial affairs of marked value to the community. In 1901 he established a brick and tile factory, which he has since successfully operated, and in 1904 he placed in operation a stave factory in the village. He gives employment to a large number of persons and it may be said without fear of contradiction that he is the leading business man of the town and one who has the confidence and good will of all who know him. It may be noted in the connection that prior to the war of the Rebellion he was employed in a tannery, conducted by the father of Winfield T. Durbin, the present governor of the state of Indiana. In politics Mr. Armbruster accords a stanch allegiance to the Republican party, though he has never sought or desired official preferment. He and his wife were reared in the Lutheran faith, but he attends and gives liberal support to the Methodist Episcopal church in Kurtz. Fraternally, he is identified with the local lodge of the Free and Accepted Masons. In 1890 Mr. Armbruster erected a commodious and attractive modern residence in the village, the same being one of the best in the place, while he also owns several other dwellings, which he rents, and likewise a well improved farm of one hundred acres, in Owen township. On the 17th of August, 1865, Mr. Armbruster was united in marriage to Miss Mary Bentelspacher, who was born in Germany, and who proved a devoted wife and help-

Page 602
meet, while she was held in affectionate regard by all who came within the sphere of her gracious influence. She was summoned into the life eternal on the 10th of September, 1896, at the age of sixty-four years and is survived by seven children, namely: Mary, Charles, Kate, Polly, Louisa, Howard S. and John H. Charles and Howard assist their father in the conducting of the general store and are capable and popular young business men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Free Web Site Counter